Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose steering in 72

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snidgen, Mar 5, 2000.

1. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

I just bought a 72 K5 and would like to tighten up the slack in my steering. I have already put in a new steering stabalizer and I'm only running 33x12.50's. Is the looseness in the column or the power steering crank?

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Check the Tie rod ends. this is what loosened on my 71 when i got it</font color=blue>

3. Check the frame around the steering gear box and its' bolts, the drag link joints, tie-rod ends, ball-joints, and wheel bearings, and then tires pressure. I imagine it is one of these or a combination.

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

On the top of your steering box is an allen screw with a nut aound it loosen the nut then slowwwwly turn in the allen screw. after every full turn rock your steering wheel back and forth until the slop is near gone.
    Be carful not to over tighten it or your box will heat up quick style!
    later

Rock ON!

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

be careful not to overtighten that allen screw. The middle of the gears where most of the driving is done is usually worn more than the ends so the box may bind up at full lock either direction if too tight. It's best to check this with the wheels off the ground if possible.