Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose steering, now its really loose -bad ball joint -new question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Nov 15, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

update* OK the upper ball joint is in need of replacing, can I replace just the upper? The axle had new upper, lowers and ujoints maybe 4 years ago. The death of the upper ball joint was by flame I'm sure /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

OK, had some steering problems I installed a coilover steering stabilizer and most of them went away about 6months ago (loose steering). I installed a new draglink about a year ago it helped too.

Recently I installed my lift and raised arm, no new tires yet. Steering has alot of bump steer and the wheel was off center. I adjusted the drag link and the steering wheel is recentered now but I have about 2 inches of play in the wheel (which does not help the bump steer). I checked and greased all the tierod joints and draglink ends. Still having problems... now I have brake issues which are not helping in getting the steering fixed.

Have checked the following:
    cracks on frame around box -none
    joints/ends -seems ok
    getting ready to pull the tires and check the brakes and re-bleed after putting in new copper washers
    - I was having problems with it pulling right and when I hit the brakes it shoots off to the left.... NOT GOOD WITH LOOSE STEERING on a rough backroad /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Loose steering, stabilizer helped now its really loose

Check for loose ball joints. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

90% of my steering issues disappeared when I replaced my draglink ends and my ball joints. Greasing a worn out fitting won't improve it's performance.

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Make sue to check the ball joints and tie rod ends. And the rag joint sometimes it gets dry rotted and ya don't think to check it.

5. jjlaughner

what is a good brand of ball joints and a good price?
    When I regear I thought about putting new ball joints in, the truck had news ones about 5 years ago when I put in new inner u-joints on the shafts. The draglink is about a year old and was Autozones HD version.
    I thought about drilling out the eyes on my steering knuckles and making an over the top / heaver tierod/rockrod with new joints and doing a dual stabilizer. Is this rockrod a good idea on a daily driver?
    It will get wheeled a little but nothing heavy. I dont mind overkill building though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

I checked it during the lift (when backyard built listed his ujoint mod) and it looks pretty solid, I will double check it when I do the brake check /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I would say that Moog is about the best for ball joints.

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I would say that Moog is about the best for ball joints.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to search for the parts number post but does anyone know the Moog part numbers for an 87 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Upper BallJoints's
    Lower BallJoint's
    and tie rod ends?

no comments on the rock rod idea? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Check the bolts holding the steering box on. They come loose and that is the first sign. Have you tried tightening up the Hex bolt on the box? Don't tighten it too much just like half a turn.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

time for ORD x-over + WTO hydro assist. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. jjlaughner

No crossover on this truck it has to have the sway bar... My other blazer is getting crossover though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I checked the:
    rag joint - its good
    Steering box bolts and frame - OK / tight
    draglink ends - good
    tierod ends - OK might find new ends and have the truck realigned after regearing
    Upper ball joint - Fried - yep the drivers side upper needs replaced
    (Can I replace just the upper or do both upper and lowers need changed? The upper got fried when I heated up my old steering arm taking it off /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check the u bolts, make sure they're tight. My truck was a loose POS and KRAZIE87K5 did me the favor of telling me that my u bolts were finger tight and once he tighetened them, no issues.

Rock rod is a great idea to get a strong tie rod but its not really necessary if all you need is new ends.

I replace both left side balljoints.

I bet that one balljoint is your problem. Every time I've used a torch on a balljoint that's what's happened. This 10 bolt I'm running now I put 4 new balljoints in before I installed it for that very reason.

Good luck.

13. jjlaughner

yeah I thought about the ubolts the other night when I was looking at the ball joint... I haven't retorqued them since the install (I torqued them down and it set of a several days and I retorqued them but not again after driving)

14. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have some loose steering in my rig, i would hate to see it due to balljoint wear, that would not be cool, i plan on getting grease gun out in near future and doing entire truck since it sat dry never ran or anything for at least 4 ( if not 5 or 6) years

hope that you dont have to replace too much in order to fix your steering back up

and as far as brand goes, the deluxe napa parts and soem of the cheap store parts are reboxed dana corp parts, in which are great parts, but its hit and miss though, alot of the times the part numbers match from brand to brand

i have an entire napa chassis parts catalog if you want me to look up or compare anything or need any parts dimensions ?