Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose Steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rusty79beast, May 10, 2004.

1. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

My 86 has quite a bit of play in the steering wheel, so i had a buddy move the steering wheel through its slop, and saw what was going on underneath. From what I saw, was the bar that went from the steering arm back to the ball joint? or tie rod? Not sure what it is, but the bar was about a foot long and has some threads on it(drag link??), and both ends had the slop that occurs in the steering wheel. So my question is what is this bar and how easy is it to replace or can you tighten it up. Both ends of the bar have rubber boots on.
    Thanks a Bunch
    Paul /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is your draglink. Go ahead and spend the 30 bucks or so and buy you new ends. That will clean up all of that slop you have going on there. Not that hard to do, just make sure you set you gear box even when you go to hook it back up or your wheel will be off center and throw your turn signals out of whack. On a sclae of 1-10 difficulty I give it about a 1 meaning not very difficult at all. Also check the fram for some cracks and if not cracked order you up a Steerin Gear Box Brace Kit to keep it form cracking if you plan to wheel the thing. Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rusty79beast

How do you go about setting your gearbox center? Also do these ends just unbolt, or do you have to torch them off or something completely different??

4. 79Stomper

Just pull the cotter pins out of the nuts, back off a little and let them have it with a hammer. Not that hard to get them off. Might take a few good whacks with a BFH but they will cooperate eventually. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Once you have the draglink off of the pitman arm, fire it up and rotate your steering from lock to lock a few times and have someone watch your pitman arm, and of course your wheel if it was all ready set dead center, and have them tell you when to stop. Also make sure your tires are as straight as you can get them bofore you hook it back up.

On the drag link be sure to count the number of threads on each end before you remove the middle sleeve and make sure to have the same number of threads on each one that was on the old one. If not you will probably need an alignment for it.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just pull the cotter pins out of the nuts, back off a little and let them have it with a hammer. Not that hard to get them off. Might take a few good whacks with a BFH but they will cooperate eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. That is not how you seperate a drag link. Get a pickle fork and do it right.

As to the adjustment of the drag link, adjust it until your steering wheel is centered. You don't need a front end alignment unless your camber or toe is messed up, and they're unaffected by adjusting your draglink.

6. 79Stomper

[ QUOTE ]
    Uh, no. That is not how you seperate a drag link. Get a pickle fork and do it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if he is not going to use the old ones, then what is the difference? I did it this way with no problem.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if he is not going to use the old ones, then what is the difference? I did it this way with no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't risk destroying the taper in the steering arm or pitman arm that way. It's just not worth it. You can go to autozone and rent a pickle fork and get the job done easier, then return the pickle fork for a full refund.

8. rusty79beast

So what parts do I need to do this? Do I need a new drag link, or just the ends??
    Thanks a bunch, I think I'm going to tackle this tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So what parts do I need to do this? Do I need a new drag link, or just the ends??
    Thanks a bunch, I think I'm going to tackle this tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Front and rear drag link end and an adjusting sleeve. You could use the old sleeve, but a new one is about 6 bucks and makes the job a lot easier. Ask the guy at the parts store to mark on the box which is front and rear.

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just put a new Drag Link on my truck last week, and if I had not used a Pickle Fork, I would still be out there beating on it right now. I bought a cheap 3-piece Pickle Fork set from Harbor Freight tools for about $10.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got a 5 piece set from Sears that was $30. Well worth it IMO. Three forks, a handle for a hammer and a handle for the air hammer.

It is great, but only available through the catalog.

12. rusty79beast

One more question should i do it with the truck on jack stands, or do it with the tires on the ground??
    Thanks a bunch guys

13. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One more question should i do it with the truck on jack stands, or do it with the tires on the ground??
    Thanks a bunch guys

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just put a jack under the axle on the drivers side. Then take off the wheel/tire.

Better access that way.

No need to jack up the whole truck.
    -T