Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose Steering...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Aug 29, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Regarding the steering box on a 90K5. When going up and down the road, the steering wheel has a lot of play. So I checked it while it was parked and the shaft in the steering box (that hooks to the ragjoint) moves alot, maybe 1/8-1/4 turn before it moves the sector shaft for the pitman arm.

What would cause this?
    Out of adjustment?
    Junk it and get another box?

I had the box rebuilt a while back, but just got around to putting it on.

Any ideas?

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I'm suprised no-one replied :crazy:

Adjust the shaft deeper into the rack (tighten the adjuster) and see what happens. If it's really loose, there will be alot of slop (think of it like backlash on a R&P)

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Free play in the steering wheel should not be adjusted by messing with the lash adjuster. This is to set the preload in the steering gear. If you don’t know what you are doing here I suggest that you leave it alone.

On the top of the steering box you will see 4 hex head 10mm bolts holding on an access cover. In the center of the access cover there is an adjustment screw with a counter tightening nylock nut.

The following adjustments must be made with drag link disconnected from pitman arm and flange removed from worm shaft.
    Loosen lock nut and turn lash adjuster screw all the way in (clockwise), then out (counterclockwise) three turns. This will remove load imposed on worm bearings by close meshing of rack and sector teeth.
    Using a socket on steering gear worm shaft, turn shaft from one stop all the way to the other carefully counting total number of turns.
    NOTE: Do not turn hard against stops when drag link is disconnected as damage to ball guides may result.
    Turn the shaft back one-half total number of turns to center position and using an inch-pound torque wrench, measure pull required to keep worm shaft in motion through center position. This should be 1-1/2 - 5-1/2 inch pounds. If indicated pull does not lie between given limits, make the following adjustments:
    a. Loosen lock nut
    b. Turn adjuster until required resistance to pull is reached.
    c. Tighten lock nut and recheck pull. It must lie between limits specified after lock nut is tightened.

Note: Turn lash adjuster screw clockwise to remove lash and counter-clockwise to increase lash from gear teeth.

I would bet that your TRE's and/or DLE's are worn out. Or you broke your frame. common issue on these trucks.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies!

"The following adjustments must be made with drag link disconnected from pitman arm and flange removed from worm shaft. "

What is considered the flange on the worm shaft? and what is the worm shaft?

Sorry, not familiar with the technical terms on the steering box :crazy:

Other than that, it sounds like a good start! thanks!! Where did you get all of that info?

Also, the TRE/DLE are all new and frame has the weld on brace and bolt on brace. If you look at the 'upper' shaft on the steering box that hooks to the ragjoint, you can see that there is alot of play before it turns the pitman arm.

Thanks again :bow:

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That info is part of a tech acrticle that i wrote a while ago. You can find it in it entirety here.
    http://www.brokentrucks.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=5

The article was written to address the lack of understanding of the steering systems on the OBS Chevys. Mainly the EVO system developed by Delphi. However the Saginaw steering boxes have not changed much in the last few decades, so the box adjustments still apply.

The worm shaft is the input part of the box. The sector shaft is the output part. If you know what i mean. It is kinda hard to explain it any other way. See the image below
    [​IMG]

To get to the flange you have to remove the rag joint. From you explanation of the "Free Play" it sounds your lash adjustment is too wide. Be sure you adjust it correctly.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

I agree with you, but just to clarify what I was saying: if the sector gears are too loose on the rack (and of course the preload would be too loose), it will cause the condition Mike described. I guess I didn't get into good detail like you did. Good job on the tech info Brian :waytogo: