Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by airbornesoldier327, Sep 29, 2005.

1. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

Well i have a problem, I have a 77 blazer with a 6 inch lift, and currently running 33's. My steering is so loose i can turn the wheel with one finger... its like to keep it stait on the road i have to turn it a good 6 inches either way to go strait, its a brand new pump so i dont know what it could be, and i also have duel steering stablizers. I dont know what to do to make the steering a little firmer.... If you have any suggestions that would be great. Let me know if i left any info you might need out. thanks
    chris

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

is the wheel just very easy to turn or does it wander alot?

3. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

when i first got my blazer it had 1 bolt holding the steering box in. id check to see if the steering box is mounted correctly first then i would assume the sector shaft and worm gear are worn badly.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that the U-bolts are TIGHT and torqued to spec. Just a very small amount of movement of the axle will translate into huge slop in the steering wheel. It takes a bit of cranking to really snug them down. It's been a long time since I looked it up, but 105 lb/ft. keeps popping into my mind...

Make sure that the rear U-bolts are also tightened to spec as the rear wandering can also have a huge effect on steering.

A worn drag link will also contribute to sloppy steering.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I thought of another one... Spring eye bolts. Tighten them until the brackets/shackles are snugged up against the bushings. You don't want the axle to be moving side-to-side at all.

6. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, listen to those guys. Ive had a loose spring and my steering was all off. Then the other day i was messing around with my steering box, tightened all 3 loose bolts, and my steering felt new.

7. airbornesoldier327

That could definalty be, when i was on leave i changed the rear 4 inch blocks to 6 inch springs, and when i did i could almost take the u-bolts off with my fingers. As far as thge worm thing, is that the little rubber bushing in the steering shaft that runs from the firewall down to the steering box?

8. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

thats how my steering was when i first bought this k5. i drove it for a while like that but damn it was a chore to just keep the dame truck between the lines.

I ended up needed a new steering gear box

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Nope. That is called the rag-joint. The worm gear is internal to the steering gear.....and no it will NOT be worn down. Don't even concern yourself with the worm gear.

Check your TRE's and DLE's first.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

What he said. DO NOT try to adjust your worm gear. It can cause serious problems for you. It very rarely wears out. Other things in the box will wear out, but generally NOT the worm gear. If improperly adjusted, it can lock up w/out warning. Before I knew any better, I tried to "adjust" my worm gear. I almost killed myself and took a few others out with me. The worm gear can bind up and get stuck so you cannot turn your steering wheel. Trust me, NOT fun at 70 mph on the freeway! :yikes: Damn near crapped my pants! :crazy:

Your most likely culprits are;

1. Drag link ends
    2. Tie rod ends
    3. Loose axle u-bolts
    4. Maybe the rag joint

After I replaced my DLE's and TRE's it drove like a brand new truck. :cool:

11. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

This is a pretty common problem. I am sure that we can all figure that out because of all the posts. Check your ball joints. I went through an repalced the PS gearbox and every greaseable joint between the tire and the Gearbox and it made a world of difference.

Have a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth while you examine the steering linkages. If everyting is not moving in unison or there is "slop" in a joint.....replace it.

12. airbornesoldier327

What exactley are the DLE's and TRE's, im learning everyday that i dont know as much about these trucks as i thought i did! haha :D

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

abbreviations..

DRE's == Drag Link Ends....TRE's == Tie Rod Ends... :D

14. airbornesoldier327

Thanks for spelling it out fer me!! lol :D :haha:

15. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

Also check the ball joints.