Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose Steering!????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5Blazer, Aug 7, 2002.

1. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

My steering is unstable. I replaced the gear box, (unfortunate mudding incident) it helped a little. Its not real bad though, just enough to aggravate me. Should I go with new tie rods, pitman arm blah blah. or do you think it could be my steering column? Anyone got any easy test for this situation?

2. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

Where did you get the steering box, rebuilt boxes suck. Check your tie rods for obvious damage and the rag joint that connects the column to box, it could have play in it. I feel like I'm driving a boat the way mine steers.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Get up close and friendly with the steering linkage while someone jiggles the wheel back and forth. The truck does not need to be running for this. Look for excessive play starting with the pitman arm/steering box connection and ending with the tie rod. Also, if your frame is cracked at the box, it will contribute to the play. I went from worn out steering parts to brand new parts with my crossover kit (ok, my '72 2wd box was not new) and It was night and day difference keeping my 44's in one lane.

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

had the same prob, and needed a brace to stiffen teh frame at the box
    get some one to sit in the truck and move the wheel from side to sidejust
    until the wheels start to move, and examine every thing in the column
    and you should be able to find the play. it is easier on the wheel man for
    the truck to be running, but you have to be a little more wary of belts and
    pulleys. i replaced every part under the front, including 2 rebuilt gear boxes
    and a new factory ($700) gear box before discovering the frame movement.
    mine frame was not cracked either, just weak and flexing with every turn

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Even after all the braces and new parts , the truck may still have a little play in the steering. This is actually a trait of recirculating ball steering . I've driven many chevys and have learned that no matter how good you get it it the steering wheel can move a little bit side to side while driving straight . However by all means make sure your truck is safe before driving it . We need all the four wheelers possible to keep our hobby alive.