Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose Steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5Blazer, Aug 13, 2003.

1. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

What can I do to "tighten up" my steering? It is so bad I can't hardly keep it in one lane! Already changed gearbox. Need advice on next step.
    Mark

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You'd probably have to tear down the column and either rebuild it or get a new one. I've heard opening up the column is a big job hto. Maybe some new rod ends or whatever you have for joints.

3. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

I had what sounds like the samae prob. I changed gearbox, cheched shimms, steering stablizers, everything i could think of then I tried a friends tires on. and that did it. I had "rag" tires ... not Bias ply. Put new tires on ... and BAM .. steering was fixed ... just another thought hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Don't overlook front wheel bearings that are worn out or the locking nut has worked loose. That can give you squirrely steering. Worn tie rod ends, too. In fact, most any front end components, both steering and suspension, can wear and give you excess play in the steering.

5. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

I have checked the wheel bearings and the tie rod ends and other steering linkage seem to feel tight. I have also tried 3 different sets of tires, but with no change. I guess its time to look into a new steering column. Does anyone know where I can get one or how much I am looking at? Thanks for the advice!
    Mark

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Mark,

Before you do anything else, I suggest that you check that the bolt & nut holding the pitman arm to the steering box is T-I-G-H-T.

I installed a new steering box not too long ago and had the frame repair plates welded in at the same time and when finished, I was more than a little disapointed - hardly any improvement. Turns out the pitman arm bolt assembly was not tight enough and the shaft was slipping a bit inside the arm!

Can't imagine how it wasn't tight enough b/c I am a real big guy and threw alot of muscle at it, but it was indeed loose. Anyway, after using wrenches, vice grips, and a BIG engineering hammer, the connection is super-tight now and the steering literally feels like new - no play whatsoever. I have my original column, by the way, with over 200k on the clock. So have somebody wiggle the wheel while you check out the pitman arm. Might save some $$$.

7. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

Check the RAG joint on the steering column. Also known as the coupler. You can get it almost anywhere, pep boys auto zone Napa.