Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loose steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by the hulk, Dec 25, 2003.

1. the hulk

the hulk Registered Member

is there anyway to take the play out of the steering box I heard that you can tighten a nut on the box to take some of the play out it . I don’t have a lot but with the 36'S on it want to wonder a litter web page

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With so many other reasons for sloppy steering I'd leave the steering box adjustments until very last.

Check the box bolts first...mine have come loose a few times
    Tie rod ends...could be worn
    Drag link ends...same
    Rag joint...could also be worn
    Ball joints
    cracks in fame where the box bolts up

With a frame repair kit, repaired cracks, a bolt on brace, new drag link ends, good tie rod ends and everything tight I have no play in my steering at all...and that's running 39.5's and a single stabilizer.

The best is to get someone to slowly move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch every component from underneath. Worn parts make themselves known quickly. Cracks in the frame and loose steering box bolts often cause a clunk as the box deflects under stress.

Rene

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just did the "watch while someone cranks the wheel" test a several days ago on the K5. Found out that the output shaft is wobbling a little contributing to steering looseness. Probably a shot bearing I'm guessing. But as Rene said, don't adjust the box unless it needs it, make sure everything else is tight first. Then have someone move the wheel small amounts, just enough to see the input shaft move. You should also see the pitman arm moving. If you can move the input without the pitman moving, it may need tightening but look at everything else first.