Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose tilt fix missing a step?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I must be missing something! I'm having trouble getting turn signal housing off the steering shaft. The tilt lever has not been removed yet and is keeping the housing in place. How do I remove the tilt lever? I thought it may be threaded but it doesn't move. Did I miss a step?
    Here is the post from Muddytazz I'm referring to:
    Quote Deleted
    Bo

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

It is threaded on there, must be real tight.

3. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

No kidding it's tight! I've chewed mine to crap! Thanks for the info. I'll keep chewin' at it!

4. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

What year is your K5? it should unscrew counterclockwise, try a little force. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The "early" tilt lever has a wrench flat on it. Not sure if that ever changed or not.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The tilt lever is loctited on there from the factory. The small 4" version of this tool works great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

7. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Stuck again!

I see the screws that are loose, but how do I get to them? I can only get to the bottom screws as shown in pic 2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] The two torx screws at the bottom in the rear are loose.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Re: Stuck again!

Use a puller like this to take out the tilt pins. Then the top section of the "head" comes off and you have access to all four torx-head screws. This is an OTC version... Probably $20-30. I got a cheapy at my local "Princess Auto" for $3.99 and it worked good. You may be able to make a mini slide-hammer gadget instead.

http://www.otctools.com/newcatalog/detail.php3?id=47
    [​IMG]

9. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Thanks again! I'll call around and see if I can find one today.

Bo

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can make a similar tool yourself. Get the right size bolt, matching nut, and some washers to go under the head. Use an open or boxed end wrench that is just larger in diameter than the pins that need to be pulled. You need a few "graduations" of washers, so that the wrench will support them. Need to be thick too, or the washers will bend.

Thread the nut on the bolt up to the head, put the washers under the nut, thread the bolt into the pin, put the box or open end (I used open so I could see I had the wrench lined up to clear the pin as it pulled free) "around" the pin, and tighten the nut. The pin will pull out of its bore as the nut tightens down on the washers, which are supported by the wrench.

If you can find one for $3.99 great, use it, but if not, no way I'd pay $20-30 for something as simple as a nut, bolt, and some washers.

11. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Great, Now You Tell Me! I just paid $23 at Napa and had to wait a day! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks for the reply. The problems have not ended however. Here is my next problem. I used the handy dandy $23 pivot pin puller that looks like it cost 23 cents to make and pulled the pivot pins. I tilted the column all the way up and with the tilt lever still engaged, I tried to pull the housing off. No movement. Now, I've been trying everything I can think of to get the housing to budge but it doesn't. What am I doing wrong? Basically I'm at the step in the picture above except with the pivot pins removed. PLEASE HELP! I've started hitting the bottle so my frustration level is on the decline, but I'm stuck! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Bo

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If it still looks like the pic you posted...

Remove the small hex screw and spring. Pry the black plastic gear off the shaft it sits on. Remove the gold-coloured cone from the steering shaft. Underneath it is a bearing race - it should just pop out as the tilt head is removed, but it can be sticky.

Now the thing should come off when you work the tilt lever.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I missed a lot! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif