Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose Tilt Steering Fix??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SAVAGE1, Oct 23, 2000.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I know this has been covered on previous posts but I haven't had any luck performing a search. Does anyone have a diagram or detailed instructions on getting to those notorious 4 bolts to tighten the colmn? I tried to take apart the steering colmn via the steering wheel. But I got stuck some where around the signal mechanism. I didn't see any other way to dismantle the colmn. Do I need any special tools? Can anyone help its really pissing me off. Thanks.

Rod

BLAZE IT UP!!!

2. I think it was nike that posted it and he mailed it to me, I will dig and see what I did with it and get it to you too. Mine hasn't loosended up again since I fixed it with locktite !! I made the special tools I needed !

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

Just checking, is this the problem where after you adjust the tilt of the wheel, you hit a bump and it shifts again. That happens to mine every now and then.

4. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Big Burb is right - this is Nike and I do have some pretty good step by step instructions to fix loose Tilt Steering. If you want to post your address here I will mail you a copy (it is 3 full pages), or send me a private e-mail that includes your address. Thanks Nike in Mo.

Blue

5. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Hey Nike, I would be interested in seeing those sheets on how to fix it. Please email me at chewy33@worldnet.att.net
    Thanks

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

6. It may do that too, but what I think we are all talking about is you can take the steering wheel and push or pull on it and it has alot of play because the 4 mounting bolts are loose.

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks BigBurb & Nike. Can you please send the instructions to SAVA9E48@AOL.COM

BLAZE IT UP!!!

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Nike.. I'm interested in the column stuff..
    Email is ctrock98@hotmail.com

Muchas grassyass !!!

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

10. 88blazer

88blazer Registered Member

11. Here is the fix in detail !!

Here is the infamous “GM tilt column loose problem” fix:
    Disconnect the Battery, Tilt the column to the full UP position, Pull the wheel
    Remove the locking plate, the large spring & the bearing cover (This comes off fine, but is a pain in the butt to get back on so I made a tool to put it back on)
    Disconnect the connectors for the turn signal switch, cruise and the "smart" switch
    Remove three screws that hold down the turn signal switch
    Gently pull the switch up and pull out of the housing folding down and hang by harness
    Remove the Ign Key buzzer switch and retainer clip
    There is either a screw on the right side holding in the IGN KEY LOCK or a slot in which you push a tab.
    Remove the screw or push the tab and remove the Ign Lock Cylinder.
    Most of us have been this far before into the tear-down.
    Next there are three or four torx head screws that hold the housing onto the tilt bowl, remove them.

Return the turn signal switch back into the housing, do not put the screws back. This step is to give you some play in the wiring

Gently pull up on the housing up and over the steering shaft. Tilting the shaft down will help but it puts the upper ball bearings in danger of popping out. The small cover for the tilt handle, the plastic push piece will all fall out

There will now be a black bowl exposed. It has the bearings for the short shaft. The Hi Beam actuator rod will be coming through on the left side. There will also be a small rod through the top parallel with the floor. It is the sector shaft for the IGN Switch and has a small gear on the left.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!! THIS IS THE PART THAT IS SPRUNG LOADED!!

At the bottom is a small, about the size of a quarter, round silver plug with a square cutout in the center. This is the spring retainer. by tilting the column up most of the load has been removed from the spring. Take a #3 Phillips screw driver, put into the square hole. The object is not to go through this hole but to engage it. Push the plug down/in about 1/8 inch and turn counter-clockwise. There are two ears 180 degrees apart that retain the plug. REMEMBER IT IS SPRING LOADED!! Ease up until there is no load and pull out.

The next step requires a small puller. I used small screws and vise-grips on one and a small crow bar on the other one !! They are in there pretty tight too !!

There are two pins 180 degrees apart on the sides of the bowl. These are the tilt pivot pins and they need to be removed. Kent-Moore makes the special puller but I have seen other folks put a small screw in the hole and pull them out with Vise-grips. If the screws break you are hosed! The pins are harden and can't be drilled out if it gets screwed up.

Once the pins are out put the tilt lever back in. Pull like you want to tilt the column. This releases the pawls from the retainer grooves.

While holding them released, gently pull the bowl up towards you. The ball bearings are in danger of popping out again as they are disengaged from the races.

You will notice that the upper shaft is connected to intermediate shaft by a white plastic ball socket. DO NOT BEND THIS TO 90 DEGREES OR IT WILL BECOME DISENGAGED!!

Slide this to one side and two of four torx head screws will be exposed. I use a ¼” drive ¼” socket on a flex universal to gain access. This eliminates the danger of bending the tilt ball too much.

If it's real loose tighten one from each side diagonally, That way the mechanism will seat and not bind. I recommend that you put locktite on them !!

Going back together is just doing it in reverse with some extra steps.
    Reposition the tilt bowl on the shaft, pull back on the lever and slide on. Make sure the pawls engage the retaining grooves. The rods down to both the starter switch and the headlamp dimmer need to be lined up.

Replace the tilt spring by depressing with a screw driver and turning

To time the start switch the small snap ring retaining the sector gear, white or black plastic, and gear needs to be removed

These will not be replaced until after the pivot pins are reset.

Install these pins with a gasket hammer, SMALL! You may need to jiggle the bowl by actuating the lever disengaging the pawls

Now time the ign rod rack with the gear and actuate a few times to make sure the Large cutout in the gear for the ACCESSORY position is timed. The rod has a tit that has to go into the racks crescent shaped area. This crescent shaped area allows the rod to be actauted from any tilt position when the key has been turned.

Slide the turn signal housing down over the bowl, aligning the small tilt lever cover and headlight dimmer actuator. Small daps of grease will help hold this in position while trying to put it all together

The rest is put together as taken apart.

The Ign lock cyl goes in before the buzzer switch. The small tab on the lock cyl that actuates this switch needs to be held up in the close position. The IGN key needs to be out of the cyl for this to happen. Small dabs of grease will hold this up during assembly
    Another tip:
    Loosen the two nuts, maybe three that hold the column up to the dash frame. They are either 17mm or 15mm bolt heads. This will give you a little more play in the wiring.

12. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Re: Here is the fix in detail !!

HMMMMM!?!?!? THAT'S IT! SOUNDS LIKE A SNAP! <--(Being Sarcastic)

BLAZE IT UP!!!

13. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Well maybe if your prob is that deep.
    In the two cases I have seen you just have to tighted the torx head screws.
    So just remove wheel remove lock plate (buy the tool it is cheep and at most auto parts stores) and remove the turn signal plate.
    Now just tighten the exposed screws and if the system is now tight put it back together and skip the open heart surgery.
    If it is still loose then go on.

14. Re: Here is the fix in detail !!

Turbo, Turbo, Turbo !! Those 4 torx head screws are that deep. You can see two with a partial tear down, but to get to all four you have to go that deep. I did the half assed job the first time(took it down to the 1st 2 and tightened them) and a week later they were loose again and then Nike hooked me up with the "full meal deal" and I put loctite on all 4 of them, whaaalllaa it hasn't gave me a problem since.

15. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

Nike, I would like the instructions to please.
    Madwombatz@hotmail.com

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

16. Re: Here is the fix in detail !!

If you look at the first post of "Here is the fix in detail" it is there !!

17. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Big Burb posted exactly what I have, so I will not be sending snail mail copies unless you really need one. If you do send me a private message, and I will foward a copy, but it will be exactly what Burb posted. Thanks Nike in Mo.

Blue

18. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help Nike and BigBurb.....I had taken my column down 3 times hoping that time was the charm but no such luck, until I read BigBurbs instructions and went for broke. I was either going to fix it or destroy it! Went a little further by removing the two bowl pivit pins and discovered the imfamous 4 torx head bolts. Reefed on them and problem solved.....Thanks again guys, this site rocks!!!

Jimmy

79jimmy@sprint.ca

19. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Well if i were a chick i'd kiss u on the lips! I was going to e-mail u for that very fix tonight! Thamks for reposting that very handy info, and thanks to nitro!!

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

20. NOT A CHICK

I am definately not a chick, so don't even think about it !! Just passing on good info that a fellow four wheeler mailed to me. I am happy to help, it looks like it helped quite a few.