Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose wire identification

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Aug 3, 2005.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Please help me identify these wires. These wires have been just hanging around unconnected since I bought the truck 7 years ago.

Picture 1 - This 2-prong connector comes from behind the distributor near the oil sending unit.
    Picture 2 - This wire comes down along the valve cover on the drivers side.
    Picture 3 - This wire comes down along the valve cover on the passenger side.
    Picture 4 - These 3 wires come from a grommet on the passenger side firewall.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Number3 is for your electric choke on the carb.
    Blake

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

#4 looks like a knock sensor connector, and then there is a ground and fusible link.

Truck probably had ESC, thus the knock sensor. (or it was a CA truck with CCC) Ground wire might be part of that system, but that fusible link wiring, I don't think those were used on anything other than the ignition, and should be between the starter and firewall, should be two of those wires.

4. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

If you look closely at picture 3 you'll see another wire laying across the valve cover. That was the wire that was on the electric choke on my rochester q-jet. My q-jet only had one wire connected to the electric choke. I don't think the wire I'm trying to identify is for the electric choke. It's not quite long enough to reach the electric choke.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if your profile stuff is correct 86 k5 blazer. this will be emisions stuff or tbi stuff possible.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well 86 weren TBI, so its gonna be ESC/EST stuff(48 state federal) or CCC stuff(cali and the 50th state) ?

i cant see your pics worth a damn they are too dark

good luck