Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loosening stiff springs? or maybe removing a leaf?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Nov 1, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

My 4" BDS front springs are kind of stiff and ride about 6.5" tall. If I pull a leaf out what are chances it will level out to about 5"? Also what leaf would I pull out of the pack?
    -OR-
    Someone in another thread said something about heating them up to make them softer /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Can you do this? if so how? Torch? I have one of those now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heating them up is a ghetto way of doing things. If your unhappy with the ride I guess its new springs time. What shocks are you running? Shocks are often a source of bad ride. How many miles do you have on them? hasn't been long since you posted about finally puting them on.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't torch them, that will probably screw up the mettalurgy stuff with the springs.

Are the springs brand new? Stretch them out, get some flex going or just look into showing some fat girls some love on the hood............ /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have heard BDS take some time to "settle" in.
    They're stiff at first but will settle and loosen up a little.

I have also heard when you remove a spring from a pack you remove the 2nd spring up from the bottom. I guess that bottom spring is what prevents them going negative.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree, DON'T take the torches to them. bad, bad, bad! I would check the shocks, they will stiffen the ride. I know you just put the kit in, so it might take a little time to loosen up. I you want, pop the shocks off and see if it's a little smoother.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've heard of people removing a short leaf or even removing a short and adding a long leaf. Basically making their own pack.

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

go flex them out without the shocks on, they will soften up some, get some good hard wheel stuffing goin on, some good droop and it should help a bit..

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't like the idea of torching them but I thought I would ask. ( /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I didn't like the idea of fender trimming at first either /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

These are 4" BDS springs, they are new to me. Previous own said he had a couple trails on them and maybe 300Miles. I haven't done to much flexing yet but I'm up over 400 miles on the highway. I keep forgeting to call 4WParts to get a front drive shaft spacer, their site doesn't have them for ordering online.

As far as the shocks they are the BDS ones that came with the lift. I'm wanting to order furd shock towers and I have a set of the longer gabrials in the garage. The BDS shocks that came with the kit I think are Nitro's (they stay where ever you compress them to or pull them apart too). The Gabrials in the garage and my old shocks where gas (I think, they push out to full length when uninstalled).