Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looser shackle bolts using Nyloc nuts ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Jun 11, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what would happen if instead of changing to greasable poly bushings you were to use stock rubber bushings, really grease up the stock bolts and bushing surface then firmly snug the shackles back together using Nyloc nuts. Would this allow the spring bushings to rotate for better articulation and ride or would it be a major safety problem?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yea...saw that post after I posted this.
    Soooooooo I guess the big question is how much additional travel do you get with the greasable poly's versus stock rubber?

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I did more than just the poly bushings when I put them in. I also removed a add-a-leaf and put UHMWPE pads in between the leaves of the rear springs. It does flex better now but how much of that is the bushings I couldn't tell you.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I run nylocks on all my shackle bushings specificaly so I dont have to torque them down. I run poly bushings as opposed to rubber and due to the 57" springs and their ability to twist, I have had no need for greasables nor have I had any bind on me. I do use a rather stiff poly and not the softer energy or daystar ones. Nylon bushings work really well too for the shackles and last a long time.