Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Los Coyotes

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by 84k5, Apr 14, 2002.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm planning a trip out here, and I know you guys have been here before so I thought you could help me out.

I was wondering if there are barbeques at the camp grounds. I wanted to camp at the one by dangerous road and lady bug lane, but I would camp at the main one if there are barbeques there. Would be nice not to have to haul a grill.

Also I was wondering if there are bathrooms at the campgrounds?

As for the terrain...Appian way, if you take the left before the mine it takes you away from the creek. You end up a really narrow creek crossing. Large boulder on one side and a tree on the other. You have to make an S turn through the creek before heading up the other side. (I think you would know the spot if you went through it) I was wonderig if anyone squeezed their k5 through here? I got about 3/4 of the way through before I gave up because it slid up against the rock. Don't wanna bother to try again if its not passable.

And finally...anybody made it up El Hll???Just wondering...

Thanks, Brian

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Brian,

When are you going out there? I was trying to get a trip going down there sometime in May if we could. As for the bbqs, I believe that there were, but I'm not 100% on that. I know that we brought our own and used those. I do know that there are some bathrooms scattered around the campgrounds. And that boulder - I think I know which one you are talking about - I saw a 4Runner scrape by, but I know that my Blazer would not fit without some serious scrapeage...how tall is your truck? I also have a roof rack up top, so it would be impossible for me...but I would love to see a K5 squeeze through there! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sorry, I have only been there twice (the first time was during a blinding snowstorm last April, so I didn't see much at all that time!). The easiest thing to do would be to call the Reservation and ask about the bbqs - they are very nice on the phone and will help you out.

As for El Hill, the only time I even saw it was during the snowstorm, and there is no vehicle on earth that would climb it with a foot and a half of snow on it! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif We didn't even try. And the second time I was there, we didn't even find El Hill!! But a friend of mine made it up in his 79 Cherokee Chief with only a Lock Rite in the rear...wheelbase rules!

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The rock with the vertical clearance problem that you you are speaking of is bagby's rock in the northeast corner of the park. The one I am referring to is a little south of that on another trail and is a width problem. No big deal, I will just have to try both /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. My k5 has a 4" and 33s so maybe it will clear.

I will call tomorrow and see what is up w/ the barbeques. Also, I heard they are closing to 4wds on May 1, so I will see if thats true or not and let you guys know. I'm trying to talk my dad into taking me and some buddies out there later this month for my birthday.

I wanna see a fullsize go up El Hill, that would be cool. Later,

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

They have been saying that they are going to close since last May! They are only open on the weekends now, no wheeling during the week, I know that changed for sure. I hope they aren't closing it, that would suck. Yes, it was Bagby's Rock, I remember the name now...

We'll go up El Hill next time we are there! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I remember Bronco Hill, that turned into a real b*tch after I started going sideways - had to winch up the last part...and of course my fellow K5 brothers deserted me and wouldn't come up! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif