Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Losers.... (Question for police and anyone who'd know..)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 89GMCSuburban, Sep 3, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Losers.... (Question for police and anyone who\'d know..)

I've had these guys calling my cell phone threatening a drive by on my house. I had no idea who it was, till the dumb-ass kids posted about the call on a message board. They admitted doing it and laughed about it on the board. What can I do about it with the police? Can I press charges? I don't like these kids at all, and I think a cop showing up on their doorstep would wake them up.
    I have printed out the post from the board. The numbers will be on my bill, and I've told numerous people about it.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Re: Losers.... (Question for police and anyone who\'d know..)

Yes/no.

In Wyoming you can threaten to kill anyone you want (except the President /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif) as long as you do not have the "present ability" to do so. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Check Texas Statutes/Municipal Ordinance (for you city folk) concerning harrassing phone calls. I am sure you have one (For Gods sake, you people can legally shoot people in defense of your PROPERTY. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

You can request a phone tap through your local phone company. Check the front of your phone book for details.

If you still have questions, call your local law enforcement.

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Would those threats fall under stalking laws? I know there is some new stalking laws that have come out recently that might cover the phone calls and threats to come by the house?

4. MOABDADC22

All states have statutes prohibiting harassment and stalking. “Harassment” statutes typically prohibit the intentional or knowing engaging in a regular course of conduct (which may include sending mail - including electronic mail - or other written** communications) designed to alarm or seriously annoy another. “Harassment” is sometimes included as a subset of “stalking,” which is defined typically as the willful, malicious, and repeated harassing of another, or the making of a credible threat, with intent to place another in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm. Prohibited “stalking” may directed towards one’s person or one’s family. Threats to property may also be covered.

All states have statutes prohibiting harassment by telephone, although it appears that most of these statutes contemplate voice rather than digital communications. These statutes thus prohibit the use, with intent to harass or annoy, of the telephone: 1) to make obscene or lewd proposals, 2) to call repeatedly, whether or not conversation ensues.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

go to your local library, they have the books for all the laws and explain to them what the situation is and they could steer you to the corect books and then you can see for yourself.

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

From what MOABDAD has said and if it were me there are certain things I would do no matter what state I lived in.....

1. March down to the police station and get an immediate restraining order on them. Heck even with out the proof I would get a restraining order. If these people do anything to you I would think the first thing the police would do is look at the person whom you have a restraining order against. Now, if these guys have any brains and or common sense they would know this and stay away as they will be notified of the restraining order.

2. Recording those phone calls when they come in. I would think (could be wrong) it would be hard for the police to do anything with phone numbers on a bill and since the burden of proof falls on you I would do whatever I could for physical proof. Holding the phone to a recorder wouldn't be very difficult and In some cases (I have only heard) Cell phone company's will help you with this but I could be wrong.

3. I would set a video camera in the window during the night and even day so that if anything does happen it should be caught on camera as well.

Then you would have taped phone calls, restraining order, and video. I still think restraining order is the best place to start though. Basically I would take whatever steps I could with what I have so that when and if it does happen they will be caught and punished.

Again that is just me and I am no professional. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif hehe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well hell, it's Texas; doesn't that give ya the legal right to pop a cap in their asses......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Exactly what I was thinkin' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

9. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

probably. lol. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    1. March down to the police station and get an immediate restraining order on them. Heck even with out the proof I would get a restraining order. If these people do anything to you I would think the first thing the police would do is look at the person whom you have a restraining order against. Now, if these guys have any brains and or common sense they would know this and stay away as they will be notified of the restraining order.

[/ QUOTE ]

Restraining orders don't really do nuthin. "Hey I got this piece of paper that says you can't come around here." Call the cops? Whats the response time? I know its not their fault on the time it takes, so you need something else.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Recording those phone calls when they come in. I would think (could be wrong) it would be hard for the police to do anything with phone numbers on a bill and since the burden of proof falls on you I would do whatever I could for physical proof. Holding the phone to a recorder wouldn't be very difficult and In some cases (I have only heard) Cell phone company's will help you with this but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me how to record cell phone calls? My phone wouldn't play loud enough to hear.

[ QUOTE ]

3. I would set a video camera in the window during the night and even day so that if anything does happen it should be caught on camera as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. I got one sitting in my window right now watching my car, I don't live in the best of places.

Didn't see where you were from, but get what ever it takes to purchase firearms and train and get good at using it. Protect your family and yourself. I bet if they came to your house and broke in and tried killing you and you shot at em they wouldn't be coming back!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Please explain to me how to record cell phone calls? My phone wouldn't play loud enough to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

My cell phone will record calls, both sides of it too. Unfortunately it beeps when recording to let the other party know they are being recorded since it's illegal in some states to record a conversation without the person being recorded's consent.........

12. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Restraining orders don't really do nuthin. "Hey I got this piece of paper that says you can't come around here." Call the cops? Whats the response time? I know its not their fault on the time it takes, so you need something else.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Um well lets see its a piece of paper filed with the police department that states he feels threatend enough to do something about itt. If the jerks actualy did something there is more evidence against them in court. Not to mention they will be NOTIFIED of the filing and there is the "cop at thier door". As close as he will get at this point. It is a preventative measure. If they come near him they go to jail. Simple. I know some reastraining orders can include phone calls

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Lets see you take a hand held tape recorder turn your cell phone up as loud as it will go and and hold the recorder to the ear piece even as you are speaking to them. Its quite simple. If its legal in his state there is more for him.

[ QUOTE ]
    bet if they came to your house and broke in and tried killing you and you shot at em they wouldn't be coming back!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes just shooting them will be all he needs to do and the courts and legal system these days are going to let him walk away with no hassles. You need to take preventative measures AS WELL. Yes get a gun and protect yourself I am all for that as I do the same for myself, but doing other things to help prove his case if something does happen to him or his property is just as important. Not to mention filing paperwork MAY be all he needs to do to scare them off. Staying cool and use your head will go a lot farther then waiting for god knows what to happen to his family and property.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd definately keep a firearm handy until this settles down. I'd even consider being proactive and showing up at thier door to confront them (maybe with an officer of the law?).
    How old are you? Do you have family living in the house?

I saw a neat surveillance setup in home depot last week, 2 cameras, the cabling, and a CC display. I'd DEFINATELY purchase one of those and if you can find an affordable one, a time-delay VCR, and record everything.

I'm sure there's more to this that law enforcement can use. Cell phone numbers aren't usually published, so these people had to get your number somewhere, and if so, probably know where your house really is, too.

14. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Hey, go to www.officer.com and go to the forums. Post that question in the ASK A COP section. I am sure there are officers from your neck of the woods who know the laws and can tell you EXACTLY what to do. Its ALL police too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

If not that, call the D.A. tell her exactly what you've told us, and she will be able to help you. The D.A. Is the district attorney. You better believe she will know the laws.

Also, another option. Call the local police station, or sheriffs office, just ask to speak to an officer via phone. They will also be able to help you.

15. MOABDADC22

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw a neat surveillance setup in home depot last week, 2 cameras, the cabling, and a CC display. I'd DEFINATELY purchase one of those and if you can find an affordable one, a time-delay VCR, and record everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a homemade system at an old ladies house. She duct taped her cam-corder to her oscillating fan and put that in her living room window. Instant moving camera.

Officer.com is a good source, but be warned that anyone can claim to be a cop aand give you information.

I was talking to a guy on that site that claimed to be with my department........................he gave me his badge # (which does not exist) and claimed to be a physical skills/ custody and control instructor. Hmmmmmmmmmmm there are only five of us custody and control instructors and he is not one of us!!!!!!!!!!!

Restraining/Protection orders are not just handed out. You have to show the courts a bona fide reason for having one issued. And, No, a court order will not grant you safe passage or stop a bullet.

The best advice is to contact your local law enforcement and ask them for your options.

I am a big fan of citizens carrying legal, licensed firearms. Don't just go buy a gun and stick it in your pocket. Get all the required permits/training that you can......................and then get more and more training until YOU are comfortable holding, carrying and firing that weapon.

Remember that when you shoot at or near another person, you are liable for where that bullet goes.

When shopping for a gun, remember this.

16. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

unless I am mistaken, that now qualifies under the new "terror" laws... and I believe that its not just a local police issue but potentially a larger FBI type issue. The new "terror" laws are pretty point blank... might want to look into that.

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice, guys. These kids are jerk-off's. They're 16 and don't drive, so I'm not worried. They claim it was a prank call. Nevertheless, I have a .44 S&W short barrel and 12 guage in case they stop anywhere near me. I actually know where one of them lives...
    But I'll probably let it blow over, they haven't called in a week. I'll see what to do, and I'll let you know what happens.