Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Losing all drive when I engage my 208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Nov 13, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Hey there everyone /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am having a issue with my Burban, when I put it into 4wd, its like I have NO tranny at all then when the rpms slowly incline everything comes into play at once and *WHAM* i have 4wd but if I let off the gas its all gone, 2wd and 4wd both till the rpm's rise again and ditto, it copies the same symptom again /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Losing all drive in my transfer case... any idea\'s?

check your fluid level lately? Sounds like somethings wrong in the gear reduction section of your case. Definetally need to pull it out and check it. Quick check would be drain the fluid and see how it looks. Pull off the rear case and see if there are any shavings.

3. uglychevyZZ4

why would that cause me to lose my 2wd at the same time, thats the only time anything dosent work /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wait I just reread and don't understand. ARe you saying when you put it in 4wheel drive it doesn't drive any of the wheels? Then when you put it in 2hi again it still doesn't???? Is this onlyt in 4lo or 4hi as well? If its just in 4lo that none of the wheels turn, you have to realize the transfer case goes through the gear reduction(planetaries) to lower the gearing and then output to all 4 wheels. It doesn't really matter if its front or rear, pull apart your tcase sometime you will see that when its in 4 wheel the front and rear tires are link like a locker, there is no slip or anything that would allow the rears to turn and not the front(unless your chain was gone).

5. uglychevyZZ4

this only happens in 4wd, hi or low, and yes I lose all 4 wheels until the rpms come up then it slams into gear.so that is planetaries?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I haven't had a 208 apart enough to figure out what that is exactly.

7. uglychevyZZ4

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Me neither

8. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

ive got 2 apart in my garage but still dont know exactly how they work. could be something to do with chunks lodging in the forks. id say drain it and check for shavings but you might not see any because of the magnet. mine was kinda doing the same thing but i could move but it was real torquey, then it locked up then would let me move again but still torquey. turned out the race for the rear output gear bearing busted and got huge chunks in the gears. i drained it and no shavings came out because the magnet caught them. you can take the back off to inspect the magnet. might have to take the hole thing out.