Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

losing power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

So here is my big problem. Whenever my truck is under load I lose power. Say I'm at 60 and I hit a slight grade I start to slow down. I accelerate and it seems to lose power quicker. Then I let of the gas and get down to about fifty then I can accelerate slowly and get back to speed. It also happens really bad on uphills. I could be doing 60 and then can't accelerate past 35. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY TRUCK???? I tried the fuel filter to no luck. Oh one more big thing. Tonight after I changed the filter I went for a test drive and after it doing the same thing I floored it and it got to about 65 and then I let of completely and the truck died all together. Then when I turned it back on it sounded a whole lot different at the tailpipe. It seemed to get a deeper sound that didn't go away. HHHEEELLLPPP???

Esteban
    SEMPER FIDELIS TO MY BLAZER

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Do you have oil oressure? Or oil? Take the valve cover off and see if oil getting there. Check your plugs for fouling and your cap/rotor for carbon track or corrosion. Also check your wires. Then check the coil. Is your fuel pump going belly up? What about trans. fluid? Is your filter messed up or partially blocked?

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

3. bushwacker

bushwacker Registered Member

Esteban86k5, Does your rig have a cat? Sounds like a classic cat clogged up. After running it for awhile look to see if the cat is glowing red. Hope this helps.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

It sounds like a cat problem to me too......it shows all the signs.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I had a simuliar problem w/ my '85. It would lose power then come back then lose it agian. It would do it at idle, cruise, and under load. I also went w/ the obvious, then timing chain, then replaced distributer w/ a standard HEI (non computer) Problem went away. It's been 2 month's w/ no reacurance. Just an idea. Hope this helps.

Later i_4x4

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

6. klier

klier Registered Member

Esteban86K5,

Is it like your idle totally changes after your truck loses power? It sounds like you are having the same problem that I had a few months back with mine. The truck would fall flat going up slight inclines, and when the truck was under load, it seemed like you lost massive amounts of torque (made my engine stop a time or two).

Flex your spark plug wires every inch or so to check for cracks. I decided to replace mine anyways, and in the process found about 3 wires with cracked insulation. I also replaced the cap and rotor (HEI). After I did this, the problem totally went away.

Let me know if this works for you.

Brian Klier
    '86 Chevy Blazer Project "Truck"
    &lt;url&gt;http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject&lt;/url&gt;