Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Losing Tranny Fluid

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5bushhog, Oct 18, 2001.

1. k5bushhog

k5bushhog Registered Member

Hi all,
    I am loosing transmission fluid but its not going on my garage floor. I assume that it is going into my transfer case. What would be the cause?????

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your radiator? If it's not going into your radiator, it is going into the transfer case, but that would require failure of 2 seals TC and tranny), and if you can't see it, it implies that the flanges between TC and transmission are not leaking. I doubt that.
    JB

3. k5bushhog

k5bushhog Registered Member

The radiator has no atf in it, I'm assuming it would float to the top right??? Also what is the recommended lubricant for the NP-205 transfer case......Thanks for the reply!!

4. Leinie

Leinie Registered Member

Take out the oil level plug in the t-case. If lots of oil runs out, your seals are probably bad.
    Once it has drained back to normal level,refill the tranny, drive a hundred miles and recheck t-case oil level. If it drains again you will know it is tranny fluid filling the t-case.
    You can replace the seals between the tranny and t-case, but having done that twice (on two different trucks) I would bet the bearings are shot in the rear of the tranny or front of the 205,causing the seal failure. Just my $.025

72 K5 CST X 2

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

If you have a slushbox, also check the vacuum modulator. If the diaphragm in the vacuum modulator is breached, you will be sucking transmission fluid into the intake manifold.

However, I believe that it probably is the seal set between the tranny and trnasfer case.

6. frito

frito Registered Member

tranny fluid in the radiator would make the coolant look milky pink, your 205 takes gear oil i think the best thing is to drain the TC and if gear oil is all that comes out then its not the seals ... also have you looked under your truck ? when i got my 71 K5 my detent cable leaked and the trans would only leak when it warmed up and it would cover the trans pan TC mount and crossmember with fluid but wouldnt drip realy at all (because it only leaked when it was running =) i doubt its the vaccum modulator your engine would run like [censored] if it got trans fluid in it... and your tranny would take a loooonnnggg time to shift with it broken