Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loss of barkes and steering with hydro boost :(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jun 11, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

As title says.... I noticed today when coming off the interstate that I didn't have power steering... that worried me... then later on the pedal felt really wierd when I tried braking hard for a bike that decided to suddenly stop and turn w/o warning... :confused: but then it was fine the rest of the wa home. :dunno: wtf is wrong with my burb. also if it makes any difference it has a 6.2 in it...

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

look for any evidence of leakage around the hydroboost... if so..its replacement time for sure...
    Im assuming the PS pump is good as well....
    DONT wait on brakes ...fix it asap

hydroboost doesnt care if its gas or diesel... its an engine driven accessory

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I notice with my F350 (and others) that if I stand on the brakes,I cant steer well if at all.I dunno if all hydro boost systems are like this,but for that reason I have not installed it on my truck.

Chris

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At anything over idle I can stomp the brakes and turn just fine with my hydro-boost...

I'd check the bellt tension on the pump before anything, then make sure it has enough fluid.

Rene

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well as far as I know it had a lot of power steering fluid in the resevoir. I have not checked it today but it was only a day or so ago. I will go recheck it and see what we find.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Your problem is pump related if you are having power steering failure and power brake failure. Belt slipping, low on fluid, a leak or just time to get a new pump. I had my pump go out with hydroboost ... manual steering I can deal with, the brakes didn't work well at all. I guess that's why the medium duty trucks have the electric motor back up for their hydroboost.

Eric M.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well as it turned out, the power steering fluid was above the full line. I took a rag and got a little out to bring it back to where it should be. I was thinking the pump may be dying but who knows. I will ahve to see how much a new one will cost. And that will more than likely have to wait till I get paid again :(