Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loss of power

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2er, Mar 29, 2002.

1. 6.2er

6.2er Newbie

question you guys i have a loss of power at higher Rs
    it mostly happens at about 75 on the hiway. i have an 85 blazerwith 6.2 and a 700r. have any toughts.

thanks mike

2. fender

fender Registered Member

I don't think the 6.2L was designed to do 75, but I could be wrong

3. chevyuser

chevyuser Registered Member

Here in Germany we are allowed to drive a little bit faster as you know and i always drive about 65 to 75 Mph on highways.I don´t think it can´t stand that speed.A good friend of ma and René always speeds up to 90 miles on highways.His CUCV is equipped with a hughe oil cooler for its tranny and i think one too for its engine...
    Perhaps the Transmission oil cooler is a little bit too big because last time he went home from a meeting, the distance was about 250 miles and the tranny temp was only 20 degrees(C).And that with an average speed of about 90 miles!!!!
    Ok enough of the stories...
    @ 6.2er:
    Perhaps your tranny isn´t working correct and is slipping at higher speed.Unfortunately, your Blazer has to speed up to about 110 Mph!
    My CUCV has real good power at 65 to 75 Mph.But i don´t know if we have the same axles and so on.As i know the CUCV has the more powerful engine in it. Perhaps you shouldn´t accelerate in OD.
    Which tire size is mounted on your truck?I found that mounting 33-12.5 R 15 and bigger brakes the power significantly(?grammatically correct?).If you want to overhaul, it needs very much time with big tires and original axles...
    Ok so far from me, have a nice day over there
    Greetings from the easterbunny....

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

You write you have a blazer with TH700. I think it is an “C”-engine, but also your blazer would have to go 90 mph.

There would be two things to clear:
    Does the engine get enough air (air cleaner clogs)?
    Does the engine get enough fuel (fuel filter clogged, lines leaking, broken, or the pump does not operate correctly)?

If you have a concrete suspicion, we can help you surely.

5. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've had my blazer over 85 MPH several times, and it wasn't going downhill. It will happily cruise at 80, getting 16 MPG. Not bad for a truck with 37" tires at 5000 ft altitude. My engine is all stock, right down to the EGR manifold.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Mine will also go over 80, half the time I dont relize im going that fast till I look down.