Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost 3rd and 4th on the 700R4 ?help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im a little baffled- the 700R4 in my 83 diesel burb just went kaput on the highway. It was driving fine- then I hit a bit of traffic and slowed down. Then I accelerated again when it cleared up. It felt as it if was in third at the time. Then all of a sudden, it lets go, like the truck is in neutral.

I pulled the truck off the highway- fluids are not burnt, and was not low. added a fresh quart just to make sure. Still no good.

I limp it home in second gear. Still no third or OD.

Any ideas, or is my tranny toast?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

anyone? anyone? :confused:

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

pretty sure it's dead, mine somewhat did the same thing, but mine would act up alitle bit here and there by NOT shifting into 2nd, or reving up real high, then slamming into 3rd.
    then one day it just quit shifting into 2nd alltogether...:(

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

whoops.. my ( recently rebuilt )700R did that while I was cruisng at about 70 on the freeway.. I lost 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd..then it quit moving.. (I was trying to make a flight, so kept pushing it )

it was kinda cool when I got out and found the tranny smoking with some things on fire down there.. ( i put it out myself ).. even better were the troopers and fire truck that showed up while I was standing there..

back to the point.. she's toast, captain..

Tom