Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost a: part of me, best friend, and lover today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Apr 28, 2005.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Faint memories of my first meeting but lest I will ever forget it. It was a sunny day back in 1990, it was the day it came over to my house. Gleaming in the sunlight the reflection blinded my eyes. I walked around it, caressing every curve in pure awe of its magnificents.

Throughout the 9 year span before I got engaged with it, it was my home away from home, with my father as my own personal driver. Given to me my senior year of high school as an early graduation gift, I took full advantage of what it was meant to be. A $400 dollar rough country lift kit and a $400 set of 33" all-terrain tires brought to life this beast. Growing 3" a couple years later and up to 35" tires, I kept it going. It taught me a lot about devotion and fixing cars. It was my best friend because it was always there and when I needed it the most, it always came through (sometimes with a little help from me). It was my lover because it brought out my passion for cars.

This truck will live forever in my heart and those who it has touched, always remembered as "The Big Ass Suburban"

[​IMG]

For those wondering how it died, old age... Cracked transmission case, but mostly because the body and frame are suffering from extreme deterioration.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow almost identical to my story, mom and dad got my sub when i was a little kid, gave it to me for HS grad present, i lifted it put it up on 36"s etc... but i have to sell it now cuz i need the money... :(

3. BigBurban350

Don't sell it, you will regret it :burb:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I can sympathize with you,though I have never owned anything brand new yet,I have bought a few trucks 10 years old that were in real decent shape,and had to watch them dissolve due to road salt,and our hostile climate here as far as vehicles go..

I'm junking my 74 K20 that I've had since 1990,and I cant believe how rotted it got--I patched the floors with 16 ga galvanized steel,thats about the only good peices of metal in the whole thing!--the rockers were replaced twice,now the metal above where I welded them on is GONE!..big holes everywhere,and frames and springs look like barnacle encrusted shipwreck steel,and layers are peeling off like delaminated plywood.. :frown1:

.I feel the same way about my vehicles--you get attached to them,when you think of all you did with a particular vehicle,where it took you,how it plowed all the snow for 15 years,who you pulled out of the ditch with it,etc..its like murdering your best friend when you start cutting it up for parts----but you have to realize nothing lasts forever--even US!! :yikes: :frown1:

I'd just like one of mine to die of old age,rather that rust!--"OLD" is about 5 years here--15 years is almost impossible unless you own a welder and like doing bodywork constantly..sucks living here... :crazy:

My condolances on the loss of your Suburban...RIP!

5. BigBurban350

I went under it today to fix what I thought were stripped bolts on the transmission, it was the rear of the tranny cracked. I havent been under and around it fsince last fall (gas prices and school), but saw how freaking rusted and how its just falling apart. I have over years been trying to weld in supports here and there. The last thing I did was put in a peice of 4x4 wood between the frame and body near a punched through body mount. Not to mention the roof has a 6" hole from the old roof rack. Rear doors held closed by a tie down. I can write a book on it, but I have given up trying to keep it going, err, keeping the body on the frame.

Atleast I will keep something from the truck running...the engine block w/ about 1500 miles since it was rebuilt :D

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bummer that it's beyond saving.

Wanna sell the passenger side trim around the headlight? Mine got wasted in a hail storm last summer. :(

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

part it out so she can still live on!

that's what i did with my first baby, a 1982 C10. she's all over the country now, and is part of some VERY sweet trucks.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oh, and i dont even wanna know about the "lover" part... :ignore:

9. FWP

FWP CRS

I would say part it, just remember where the parts went :laugh: ... I have a part of the "Infamous Springer Green Blazer" on my rig. I'll never paint it black, It stays the original Springer Green :bow: :haha:

[​IMG]

10. BigBurban350

Everybody loves ebay :whistle:

11. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry about your sub going to the big offroad park in the sky. I am sure many trucks have donated their parts to help your truck live on. You should part it out so that other trucks and suburbans can live on :burb:

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's always hard to let go of an old friend like that.....but do what has already been suggested:

Take off a couple of the meaningful parts (steering wheel?, shift knobs?) and transfer them to another (newer) 'Burb when you can afford to.....that way you carry the memory forward and a little bit of the "old girl" still lives on.

:cool1:

13. BigBurban350

Hey, thats a brilliant idea!

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I agree! I've been postponing stripping my '80 K10 down because I just can't bear to see her go. Maybe if I put the steering wheel in the new Blazer and the 8-ball shift knob (made from a real 8-ball) into my Mazda, then I'll feel better about it. :crazy:

I hope...

Anybody need any 73-80 parts? e-mail me. goldwing2000@comcast.net :D

15. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Man it sucks loosing a good freind like that... :( I'll never forget my best friend. My fisrt truck (sorta but thats another story) There was nothing i liked more than to stick 20 bucks worth of gas in it and just drive. Never had anything bad to say to me, never let me down, allways listened to what i had to say. I took care of it. then i sold it :( :( That is my bigest regret of my whole life. I would do anything to get it back. Sorry to here that you have to let her go.

RIP

P.S. its funny that Ford owners dont generaly seam to have this kinda of atatchment casue fords are not nearly as good of friends to their owners, more like red headed step children :blush:

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i dont think i will... ive pretty much lost interest in GM 4x4s... its a great truck and ill miss it but i cant afford to drive it either.