Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost a tire

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flyndragons, Jan 24, 2003.

1. flyndragons

flyndragons Registered Member

Hey guys,
    While driving to get a state insp sticker, my left rear tire came completely off sendin me for one hell of a ride. Is it possible that I wasnt gettin enough thread engagement on my lugs with the factory P# lugs?

Or any ideas to help me keep this from happenin? Any help will be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

You might want to check to see how much thread is on your lugs when you have your wheel on.

What state are you in?

3. flyndragons

I'm in VA. I think I have enough. I've also heard that it may be my rims. They are counter cast ALUMINUM. They say that aluminum rims will loosen the nuts. I kinda call bull [censored] after having worked on helicopters (aircraft aluminum) for 5 years. No problems with the aluminum workin anything loose with them. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

With alluminum wheels you need to tighten them a couple times after you put them on. They will sort of compress around the lugs and as a result the nuts will loosen. I had this happen one time on my dad's jeep. The wheel didnt come off, but it rubbed on the caliper and luckily I heard it.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Been there done that, I actually had all kinds of problems from aluminum rims to new painted steel wheels.
    If it's a new wheel you have to keep checking and tightening until the nuts mate perfectly with the wheel curves.
    Painted wheels also have a problem when you tighten them the paint will act like a spacer but as soon as you drive it the paint cracks and disentegrates and you have loose nuts, I caught mine when there were 2 nuts left and at the last thread I might add.
    With the aluminum wheels I lost 2 wheels, now I tighten everything periodicaly and before and after every run.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I lost some aluminum wheels too. The tire store got to do the reapirs too. I now change my own tires and run a steel wheel. I did have to retorque the aluminum ones from time to time.

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What part of Va? Let me know if your ever up for some wheeling.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I kinda call bull [censored] after having worked on helicopters (aircraft aluminum) for 5 years. No problems with the aluminum workin anything loose with them

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really, I thought that they didn't come apart due to the use of safty wire, mini-nuts(lock nuts), wet installed fasteners (sealer), lock-tite, cotter keys, ect. Also rims are not made of 7075-T6.
    Yes, AL will compress and lug nuts need to be retorqued. If you buy them new there will be a piece of paper in the box that tells you this as well.

9. flyndragons

True. We use safety wire, pro-seal, lock nuts (1475's being the most commonly used), cotter pins, and a variety of other little tricks to keep MOST things from working loose. But if you know what you are talkin about, and the safety wire coment makes me think you might, you'll also realize that in a lot of areas we dont have any locking devices. ie. skid retaining straps and access pannels. If ya try and sharp shoot me, I'll shoot back. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. flyndragons

I'm down in Buchanan county right now. But I move around a lot thanks to the Army. I'll be up in Radford sometime this week if ya want to get together and BS over a beer or two. Drop me a line and let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. bigjbear

Fixed wing, so don't know about skids, but access pln will be either cam-locks (cover pnl) or have nut plates (structural) which are self locking as well.
    ...and I already know I can't spell.
    My real point was they-rims- do need to be retoqued. Aircraft parts don't because they employ locking devices.

12. bigjbear

For those wondering, aircraft lug nuts are pinch-lock. Its not going to fall off.

13. flyndragons

Cool deal man. Dzus fastners and nutplates are what we use too. I am impressed with your knowledge. You military?

14. GMtrucklover

GMtrucklover Registered Member

I am the manager Of an auto shop and i know that our franchise and our insurence require's that check the lugs every 50, 100, 250, and 500 miles before we will sign off on a car.

15. bigjbear

Not any more : /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, Six yrs in the USMC /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif I've been in avation for about a dozen yrs now. There are a few us on here who are in avation, or at least there were /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Not a good place to be working right now.

And this thread is offically hijacked /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

16. flyndragons

Yeah I know. I loved workin in Avn, but the Army, in its infinate wisdom, has decided that I'd do them better as an MP. So I'm well on my way to that now. lol. Wrong side of the badge for me, but we'll see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. bigjbear

Good luck w/ the job change. Delta thinks I don't need to work on aircraft anymore, either. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif