Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost cruise control first, now wipers every once and while

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by crahm, Jan 23, 2003.

1. crahm

crahm Registered Member

99 suburban: Lost cruise control first so I checked around for leaky vacuum hoses and didn't find any. Now, when I turn on the wipers (same control stalk), they sometimes turn on and sometimes don't. I saw other posts about checking the circuit board for the wiper motor but I thought I'd ask if the control stalk is ever a problem?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The wires in your control stalk are probably messed up...you can get a new one at NAPA. Before you install it, lup it into the plud under the dash and see if the cruise and wipers now work. If they do, then run the wires through the column. Its kind of a PITA...make sure you use string to pull the wires though and not dental floss like my dumbass tried to do

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i second 90k5's diagnosis

4. crahm

crahm Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll call NAPA and order a new stalk.
    How do you remove the cover off the steering column? Or are you leaving the mechanical stalk, but replacing the tip with the switches?

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

you push the stalk in and turn it to get it out

6. Sparty

Sparty Registered Member

alright, i had this same thing happen to me. if you have the column that turns to turn on off and to relay this can fix yours too.

-my wipers quit and i talked to a guy who explained that the gap created when you turn the column is letting in dirt and dust everytime you use your wipers. i realize that the gap is minimal but inside the gap is 2 pieces of metal that conduct the electricity to run your wipers. those pieces are now dirty. he told me to go to a local electronics shop and buy a aersol can of tuner cleaner ($10.00). i did and brought it back to him. he put a jack knife in the gap and spread it open, then sprayed the excess away. turn the truck on and the wipers work.

- i carry a knife everyday and the tuner cleaner now rides behind the seat in a sock. in about 3 months i have only needed to do it one more time after the first time.

- to fix it permantently you would need a new column which i am told is very costly. it was cheap and now its been months and i havent had to touch it again

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

WOW i must try this as my Cruise control has not worked in forever and i like cruise control!! and my wipers have a mind of its own like when i only want it to go one time it does it for like 4 to when ever it stops and no matter how many times you switch it to off it still wont stop. SO i must try this can of air and a knife. Now do i spray it in the upper and lower gap or what? btw thanks for this cheap trick fix. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had this exact problem with the wipers, they would not turn off and the spray would not work or anything. I had to open up the wiper motor box and resolder about 5 connections that had broken loose on the circuit board. Now the thing works like it was brand new. My cruise does not work either. Maybe I'll try the cleaner trick on it.