Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost driveshaft/busted t-case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Apr 2, 2001.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friends sister (verified automotive idiot) put a 4 inch lift on her K5 ('82) and some big tires. (Shes in CA now, I'm not) Don't think the people that installed it did ANYTHING to the stock parts, IE pinion angle, steering, etc.

Cruising down the freeway she loses the rear pinion u-joint. (lucky it wasn't the front) After all is said and done (new shaft, joints, etc) She says theres a puddle under the truck.

She didn't actually lose the driveshaft when the u-joint let go, and its a slip yoke 208. I assume that with the force of the u-joint whipping around at that speed, the case couldn't handle it. Either that, or shes so dumb, the cracks she sees on the 'case are casting flash. Anyone ever seen a slip yoke case crack from a u-joint letting go? Kinda curious...

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, two of mine have done that - they crack very easily in the tailshaft housing area on the aluminum 208s...I bet that is what happened...that is amazing that the shaft stayed in there...when I was on the freeway mine let go and it flew across three lanes, luckily didn't hit anyone.

3. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I cracked my pos 208 the same way. they definately are weak. that's probaqbly what happened. Brian

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Heck yeah I've shattered the hell out of a 208. I had another 208 that kept leaking and I couldn't figure out why.I looked at it 3 or 4 times before I noticed it was cracked, heck I even tightened the bolts down and still didnt notice till after I tightened them down. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]