Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lost headlights tonight

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kodiak, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I was driving down the road doing 60 and hit a bump. Out went the lights. The park lights still work but the headlights don't work and the bright light indicator in the dash didn't work.

Where should I look for the problem. How can I tell if it is the light switch?

Also, the wiring is awful. Almost every wire has been spliced at least once. How hard is it to replace the wiring?

<a target="_blank" href=http://kodiak.coloradok5.com>kodiak.coloradok5.com</a>

2. flblazer

flblazer 1/2 ton status

CHECK under the hood i bet its the ground wirethat gos to them

can some 1 find me a ford i need to take a pee still peein on that ford just have to keep goin dam i can not stop pissin:) k5s kings

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

A good starting point is the dimmer switch after you check the ground wires for the light. The dimmer switch is a poor forgotten soul that is responsible for all kinds of light problems.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by chevyracing on 10/12/01 10:23 AM.</FONT></P>

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I agree with Chevyracing: Dimmer switch. All of the power to the lights from the headlight switch goes through the dimmer switch. Another indication that it's the dimmer switch is that the high beam indicator is also not working. It could be something as simple as a loose connection to the dimmer switch.

5. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Also check the wiring harness on your high beam floor switch for corrosion. If your windshield frame is leaking, water will run down the inside of the A-pillar and drip onto the floor by the switch. My switch shorted, killing the headlights.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

That dimmer switch can do all kinds of things. If I run my high beams very long the lights go out because the switch is shot and overheats due to the exact thing you said, my windshield leaks on it. I need to replace it again, this time I will use new and not used.
    John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]