Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost my job today... so someone please tell me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Topdown, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

... That this is just a nightmare and that the economy really is better now than before as I apply for unemployment in the hopes that I can get some kind of income to feed my two children.

You know who is going to win my vote this year for President? - its not the guy with the best military record. Its not the guy that has started or ended a war... its the guy that can balance his own checkbook and that can write down on paper how a budget defecit differs from a surplus.

cause as far as I can tell, neither one of these pathetic excuses for a candidate is worth a wad of piss at any of it.

now, before you "jump the gun" type of idiots respond, I am not blaming my lot in life on the president. What I am saying is that while George may be a monkey with a gun and John may be a ketchup eatin bizzo, these are the men that are telling us (you and I) that they are pledging to make our lives here in this country of ours better... I think its about time we held them BOTH accountable to that.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good luck finding a new job Ryan. FWIW, it seems like there is more work out there now than there was a year ago...at least as far as it pertains to my own trade. I'm not sure how well that translates in general.

Rene

3. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

just to play the devil's advocate,how come JFK no not KENNEDY says he's gonna do all these things when he's prez. but his record shows no effort up till now? he is a senator is he not? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Well as far as unemployment goes, it isn't anywhere near as bad as 1982-83 (over 10%). While the unemployment rate started rising in late 2000 - early 2001 from a low of 4% it has been on the decline since then. Peaked just over 6% in 2003 and back down around 5.5% as of July.

Look at the stats yourself if you like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Some companies do well adapting to poor economies while others don't, just look for a better company /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also, check out this website too: Applied Motion Systems, Inc. The owner is a great guy to deal with and the company was growing during the worst part of the recession /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Sorry you lost your job, and I truly hope things work out for you.
    I know how hard it can be with kids (I have 4).

But I think it's our job to make our own lives better not the goverments job to do it for us.
    If I want something better (and I do) I'll bust my hump and get it my self (like going back to school like me) rather than wondering why the goverment doesn't do something to give it to me without any effort on my own part.

I've lost my job before too, and I will never ever apply for unemployment. If that means I gotta take a crappy job just to keep food on the table until I can make things turn around, so be it.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Very sorry to hear you lost your job. Keep your chin up, there are jobs out there!

I cant speak for everyone but our family is better off this year than last. The economy is booming here, if you want/need to relocate PM me and I'll be glad to assist you in any way I can. You can check our local classifieds at www.azcentral.com

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But I think it's our job to make our own lives better not the goverments job to do it for us.
    If I want something better (and I do) I'll bust my hump and get it my self (like going back to school like me) rather than wondering why the goverment doesn't do something to give it to me without any effort on my own part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, i never asked the government/my fellow tax payers to foot my bill during hard times...hence my payin taxes this yr (liquidated my retirement funds). but in hindsight...here in cali anyway, a nice chip of MY hard earned money goes to unemployment. I am amazed by the 'downtrodden' that can't get a job that collects on this money, i sum it all up as pride keeps them from taking a lesser job or position than what they once had.

On a different note, I'm sorry to hear you lost your job-its not easy. Some income is better than none IMO. I'm sure you have marketable skills, and be proactive in searching for another...no one will hand you anything. GL man...i ended up makin 10K less a yr- don't like it-but its $$

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry you lost your job. That really sucks.

In response to your last paragraph I would say that your first problem is that you are looking for the president to make your life better.

The jobs are out there, you just need to be willing to move to where the work is.

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

www.upsjobs.com I've done well with them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been where you are at, and sometimes life doesn't seem fair. Even after you have done everything right by the book, you still end up taking it in the shorts because somebody who's job is secure feels that they can enhance their own career by taking away yours.

Right now here in Las Vegas there is more jobs then are people. You could try moving here. It is not a good place to raise children, but there is a lot of work here.

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

apparently I was misunderstood in my last paragraph... which is fine and normally I wouldnt even bother responding but I want to set the record straight.

I dont expect anyone other than myself to make my life better, find me a job or feed my children. Especially not the government.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dont worry, you'll find something else!

And I totally agree with you- people put too much emphasis on "who is president"- In reality, the president does not have wide sweeping powers to change or make anything happen- Sure, he can declare war, but asking him to "fix the economy" is not within his control. Just because a president had some good things happen in his time, doesnt mean, they were a result of his time as president.

Case in point, certain people whould say that that during clinton's administration, the economy was great. Well, sure, the economy was good, but it wasnt because of him. YOu could stick anyone in there, and the economy would probaby be just as good.

And hence, you cannot blame the internet bubble busting while Bush Jr was in office- its not his doing. You cant blame the downfall of american spending on him, as much as you can blame it on the weather being too hot or muggy. Its just not critical.
    (rambles at 4am)

13. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    apparently I was misunderstood in my last paragraph... which is fine and normally I wouldnt even bother responding but I want to set the record straight.

I dont expect anyone other than myself to make my life better, find me a job or feed my children. Especially not the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be interested to know (it's a common misconception). Unemployment is NOT government funded. It's actually a sort of insurance policy. YOU have been paying for it since your first day of work. It's basically the same thing as social security. You have been paying for it, you might as well get some money back out of it!

It is NOTHING like public assistance, food stamps etc... Your not living off of the taxpayers by taking Unemployment, if anything your getting screwed by NOT taking it. Government is sitting on like 52 billion dollars in this fund of YOUR (taxpayers) money. they only pay out a tiny bit each year and every year try and pass measures to use it for special interests etc...

I really urge anyone that gets' laid off to utilize it, it's better to see it get used for what you are paying for, rather than to pay some chump 500k a year to glue dog poop on canvas and call it art.

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ryan,

I hope you find a new job ASAP. My prayers are with you.

Bryan

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is a lot of this going around this week . My wife got fired yesterday over something that happened while she was in Chicago last Friday . I feel your pain man . We have 2 months tops with her vacation days and final severance package to make the ends meet . If it comes to it I could refi my house , or sell a truck ( OUCH ) but didn't want to do that . It sucks for anyone . I am going to pray for you and your children , hang in there /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Ryan, Sorry about the job loss. Keep your chin up. About 80% of job seekers find a job better than the last. I was out of work last year but looking back, it was the best thing that could have happened. A true blessing in disguise.
    See ya,
    Jeff

17. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You might be interested to know (it's a common misconception). Unemployment is NOT government funded. It's actually a sort of insurance policy. YOU have been paying for it since your first day of work. It's basically the same thing as social security. You have been paying for it, you might as well get some money back out of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I didn't come across wrong, but as a taxpayer you and everyone else pays for it (assuming you didn't get paid cash). And in hind sight, i thought it was silly of me to not get it...instead I liquidated my retirement fund (can you say HUGE TAX BILL??-OUCHY). I had my pride, and well...that screwed me in the end. If I had kids and a wife to take care of, i would have swallowed my pride. Yes, its insurance in case you lose your job and since ya paid into it-get it...it'll help take some of the sting off while your searching, waiting for the next real paycheck. Just my $0.02

18. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryan, Sorry about the job loss. Keep your chin up. About 80% of job seekers find a job better than the last. I was out of work last year but looking back, it was the best thing that could have happened. A true blessing in disguise.
    See ya,
    Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That is what happenned to my husband he quit a job for an increase in pay at a worst job and got laid off just 2 months later. He searched for 2 months while we struggled on my minimum wage income and landed a great job doing what he loves, the pay isn't awesome but he is happy and we are finally comfortable again. Sometimes it seems like the sky is falling but in the long run it will be better. Just keep positive for your family and something will come along.