Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost my keys, Im such an idiot:(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Mar 14, 2007.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Anyone know where to buy a new set of key and new ignition/door/tailgate locks?

2. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Hey man i think i might hve seen you cruising around edmonton south side where i am. where u go 4x4in?

3. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Nope thats not me, my blazer is up int fortmac right now in storage. I just moved down to edmonton last year and i want to move it up now to continue to work on it but I cant find my damm keys.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Your local GM dealership might be able to pull up the codes for you based off your VIN, and make some keys for you. I have no idea how long they keep that info around for, but it's worth a phone call. It probably won't be cheap, but may be cheaper then having one of the lock companies come out and make them on the spot. Or, if GM can give you the codes, you might be able to have them made elsewhere using the info.

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same boat as you. I have one bent key to start the truck up with. haha

6. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

I only have 2 ignition keys, too.. if i lock it, im screwed.
    Best place for the side doors is probably advance or something, or you can try lmctruck.com or classicparts.com for locks+matching keys. its about 16 bucks for 2 locks+2 keys, or you can get a 2doorlock+matching ignition lock for 25 or so if i remember right.

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take the cylinders out and take them to Expert Lock Services by Canadian Tire. They can make you new keys, and even key the doors, ignition and tailgate alike. Probally cost about the same as getting new stuff from Napa...

8. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Now's a good time as any to learn and hone up on hotwiring skills :D

I have 2 sets of brand new spare keys and none of 'em work. My original keys are worn but they still work. Chevy dealerships won't pull up the key codes so they made copies off my old worn keys, so the new ones are useless.

9. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if you cant get new keys made you can get the lock cylinders with keys and door locks with keys at o'reillys for sure and prolly just about any parts store. most of them keep that kind of stuff in stock. not sure on the tailgate though.

10. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

The key code is stamped on the lock cylinder, just pull one door and the ignition and take them to a locksmith. Most locksmiths will not make you a key from just a key code, it's too easy for thieves to get key codes from sales contracts, etc..., then come back with a full set of keys to the car you bought last week. Trust me, I know. No, I wasn't a thief.

11. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

kinda got a little story for all of ya, i was in colorado when that blizzard hit this christmas, and i dropped my keys in the snow, everything from door lock keys to tool boxes and hitch. but i still had the ignition key. im back in oklahoma now and yesterday my uncle called me (his house is where i lost them) and he told me that he found them in the driveway after all the snow melted!!!!! pointless, but still a story..................