Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost rear brakes.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Jan 28, 2003.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I recently went this weekend on trails that have lots of mud and water. When I got back, I pulled the drums to get all the mud out. When I got it back together, the rear brakes started squeaking alot when braking, and pulling to the left really bad. I pulled them apart again, thinking I hadn't cleaned them out good enough, so recleaned them with brake cleaner. Put everything back together. Now when you spin the drivers rear tires in the air, you can hear the rear drivers side rubbing against something, its not constant though. I have no rear brakes now, can't even get them to lock up. I do have a firm pedal though. The rear shoes are new. Any ideas on what I screwed up? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Are the wheel cylinders working at all? IE, do you have pressure at the rear brake lines? Did you crush, break a line? Do you have the enuf fluid in the res?

Just my .02...

-Dan

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

OK, the rear brakes came back and seem to be working, but the still pull extrememly bad to the left. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Check the right rear drum for contamination... usually if it pulls, check the opposite side for problems. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You could still have some crud in there, or the shoes have been hosed, and may need to be replaced... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Dan

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

you shouldnt put any cleaner on the shoes

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did you take the auto adjuster appart and clean it? Then tighten them up till they slightly drag the drum? The adjusters tend to jam when they get in the mud. Also check the front caliper slide pins and make shure they are not full of crud and moving freely.