Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost reverse in 700r4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, May 29, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

Drove my 1988 Suburban with 700r4 about 15 miles, stopped and did some shopping. Half hour later started up and no reverse at all, seems to be slipping in drive also. Stopped by shop on way home and they said that drive will go out soon. 2500.00 rebuild is what they say.

Anybody have any opinions as to what is actually wrong, and if there is anything I can check myself before going back to shops for quotes ???

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

2500...yikes..id go by myself another truck befor i payed that..

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's only about $1000 overcharge.

Nice to see there are such reputable shops in the world.
    Average parts to rebuild is under $200 whole sale. They would probalby charge about $300 in parts unless they found a bad pump or stripped stator spline and that could add some money but till it's out that's an unknown. 4x4 get a little extra labor on the removal and install. $1000 labor is about average.

Find another shop. You can buy rebult trannys for less then that by a long shot.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

let me guess... AAMCO? i got a quote there too, $3000 for bulletproof.... no thakns /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Half hour later started up and no reverse at all

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like it's creative parking time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    On a serious note talk to Wendal at http://shiftmasters.com here in Denver he will treat you right.