Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost the delay wipers and they do not like to shut off.

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Sandman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

When they do shut off, its can be anywhere. this is on a '92 truck. does anybody know what I need to clean or replace? Thanks.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

There was actually a TSB about that very problem on 95-up trucks. Mine on my 96 Tahoe did the same thing. After tearing the wiper motor apart..........I decided it was easier to buy a new motor for $50.00.

3. Sandman

Maybe I'll just look into that. Thanks.

4. Take the cover off the motor and take a good look at the circuit board and you'll probably see where there are a few connections that have cracks all the way around the post. I took mine off and heated it a bit with my gun and whalla no more problems !! This was on a 96 Tahoe I had !!

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I'm not sure if it applies to '92s or not, But it might be a faulty wiper modual, very common fault on the newer body-styles. (about $60 for the part, I just replaced mine on my '98 S10, same unit on all-most all the G.M. truck bodys).

It's the circut board on the wiper motor assembly. A square black plastic cover with 3 Torxs screws (T20 or T25) holds the cover inplace, behind that is the circut board. Real simple to replace, but you need to applie a "gasket-maker" to the new supplied cover piece to seal it.

Try this, when the fault occures, try wiggling the connector at the wiper motor. If that has any effect at-all, it's pretty much a sure bet it's a faulty wiper modual.

Again,
    I'm not sure if a '92 runs the same wiper-modual as the newer body styles, but it's the first thing I would look at. Might be worth your while to take a peek under the hood of a '96 and newer C/K truck to see if it runs the same assembly before you buy a new modual.

6. Sandman

Thanks for the replies, I'll most likely pop the cover off this next weekend and attack it with the solder gun.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Usually if they don't shut off it's the "park" switch being stuck closed. That's the case on older units. It's a switch inside the motor cover that is actuated by a little cam that "parks" or stops the wipers when they are all the way down.

8. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

My buddy's did the same thing, and we found that it was a faulty relay causing it. The relay was getting so hot, that it would sometimes unsolder itself, then when you killed the truck, the solder would cool, and the wipers would work fine the next time you cranked it. We resoldered the connections, and it held for a couple of weeks until he could buy a replacement board. Good luck.

9. Sandman

Where was the relay located? Thanks.

10. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'll see if I can find a pic. It was located on the circuit board, but he had it removed when I got there, so I didn't see him take it out. I'll try to find a pic of where it's located.

11. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I didn't find a pic, but I found an explanation. When you remove the motor cover, you should see a circuit board that you can remove. The relay should be on this board along with a soldered on connector for the cable. You should also check the solder joints on the cable connector, as they may also be bad. I'd just look the circuit board over really well, and freshen up any solder joints that look cold or loose. A cold solder joint will be cloudy looking, they should be shiny if they're good.

12. Sandman

Well, just the location of the circuit board would be enough. thanks.

13. Sandman

Cool. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Sandman

Thanks, I found 5 cold solder joints and you could see where they were arcing accross. That fixed it all up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

Dont know if this applies to your year of truck...but gm has a special policy an alot of the wiper motor modules.Might be worth a call to see if yours is covered.could be a freebie!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. jay web

jay web Registered Member

I dont know the cutoff, but if its on a late 80s early 90s tuck you have to replace the motor as well as the new curcuit board. If you look up the board on the gm parts catalog, it only lists the new board and tells you the new motor you have to buy to go with it. In other words, the new board will not fit in the old motors.