Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lost title...out of luck.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Jul 8, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Well, I bought a Jimmy about 6 months ago for my father-n-law. Since I was doing the buildup, I never had it placed in his name (I'm in CA, he's in MD, and the Jimmy is going to Colorado). Now it gets complicated. The title has vanished. Of course, my wife was the last to see it. No big deal right? Just get a new one issued. Well, we never had it put into our name at the DMV. The guy I bought it from (a friend) never had it registered either. So the DMV tells me that I have to have the LAST person who it was registered with to fill out a form. The problem is, we can't find the guy. He doesn't work where he last did, and they don't have a contact number for him.

So, any advice on how to proceed?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I wonder if you could get it titled to you as an abandoned vehicle?

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

Time to go to the junk yard and do the old switcharoo with the vin numbers

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

File a mechanic's lein on it. After 90 days you should be able too get a new title issued.

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Have the last known registered owner write you a receipt (nod nod wink wink) and use it, telling the DMV that the title was lost, sign a “Statement of Facts” DMV form stating the same and it can be done. You can buy and sell a vehicle with just a receipt if the title is lost. Ask for a supervisor if you have problems.

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

What year is it? :dunno: Just give it to some of us that live where you do not need one if over 20 years old. :deal:

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

9. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

You guys have some great ideas. It's just frustrating because my buddy that I bought it from almost had it put in his name. The people at the DMV said that all he needed to get was a smog certificate and it would be fully in his name. Which would be nice, since he could just fill out all the paperwork. But that wasn't enough, so they said I still need this guy's info and I need to make a serious attempt to contact him. Of course, how am I supposed to do that with no home address, and no info? DMV lady told me to send a certified letter to his last place of work, and when his workplace refuses it, that letter will get sent back to me (unopened). They told me that letter would serve in place of his signature. So...I sent the cert letter and made sure the people working there know it's coming and to refuse it.

As an aside, I'm really in a hurry about this because we're supposed to be driving the Jimmy to Colorado in a month! There are a whole bunch of people meeting us there that week to do some wheeling. But trust me, google, I thought of the ole switcharoo! And Z3PO, the lein would certainly put us behind our scheduled trip (which isn't the end of the world I guess). Baja Blazer, I tried telling the DMV I had a bill of sale/receipt but they said that wasn't proof of ownership and would not work. The supervisor idea is a good one though. A little help from those guys goes a long way. Ronnny, it's a '79. I wish we had that 20 year old law here! CBBR and ScoobyDannn, thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

Well, thanks again guys for all the ideas. I know that some of your ideas will work. We just really wanted to make this voyage to Colorado! I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out. If I get this cert letter back, that will save some headaches.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005