Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lots O Choppers Over Here Lately...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Mar 3, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

You Jar Heads in the San Diego area been flyin over me a lot lately? Geeesh, you'd think we were goin to war or something.... Wave the next time you go over. Bear Creek Airport in Murrieta... Land and say hi if ya want! We used to get a lot of you guys in here before they built all the houses around us... I'm sure the locals won't mind actually seeing you guys pop in to let us know you're protecting our homeland... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good publicity!

Oh and can I ride back up with you guys and jump out as you leave? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I live in what they call an unpopulated area here in Tn. and guess I'm in the training route.Used to get shook out of bed at 2-4 am by whole groupe flying dark about 100 feet up.{mabey a little higher}directly overhead.It would actually shake things off the shelves sometimes.Started spotlighting them with big Q-beam for about a week in a row.Every light in the groupe would come on,Guess I was ruining their training cause they moved flight path about 1/4 mile to the side and have stayed over there since then.Still hear them,but,at least they're not shaking the house apart now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Started spotlighting them with big Q-beam for about a week in a row

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. landsmasher

That used to happen to me in another part of this area. 100 feet overhead with no lights. Only thing I could see was a red glow coming through the front windows of the choppers. Shook the whole house.... Here they are about 500 feet but go all night long back and forth up and down the mountain range...

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I was driving down Hwy 16 here to go paintballing and this chopper scared the poo outta me. It was sitting right over the road about 40' up. I came around a turn and there it was. He moved over a field when I came into view. I dunno what he was doing but it scared me! I stopped and he hung in the air for a good 5 minutes a few hundred feet away. So close I could feel the wind from the blades. Then he just flew off... weird!
    [​IMG]

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I didn't mind the noise except in early AM hours.Sometimes I guess they are in quiet mode or such{if there is such a thing}cause you could feel the beat before you could hear them.This really shook up the dogs sometimes.Kinda cool to see them at treetop level in daylight.Guess the spotlight suprised them couple of times too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Back home, the area is used for training runs and stuff by B-52s. Well, a few years ago, we were back there for Xmas, first time for the wife, so I was showing her the countryside. Going down the highway about 60 mph, I'm telling her this and that about the area and all of a sudden off the right side of the truck, a flipping B-52 about 100 ft. off the deck goes screaming by........

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

You were probably killed a hundred times without even knowing it.

John

9. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif lol. i was thinking the same thing.

10. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Guess the spotlight suprised them couple of times too.

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH! Don't do that Zonk... They are flying on night vision when all the lights are out and you might temporarily blind them. Then they might crash and you would feel really bad. Besides it is ilegal for you to shine a light on any aircraft while in flight unless you are in need of help... Like if you were floating in a dingy in the middle of the ocean... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Didn't think about that.They were so low it was shaking stuff off shelves and breaking it.Really making the wife mad.Still flying over us,just not so close now.Guess we were on end of route cause they would go over and 2-3 mins later come right back through right at treetops. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Guess the spotlight suprised them couple of times too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine welding without eye protection of any kind. This is the type of thing that happens to someone wearing night vision goggles and they get a light directed at them. It hurts and it friggin blinds, not to mention I'm lucky to have permanent back problems because some fawkwad did this one night while I was in. We were stopped, our wingman tank was behind us and because of the white out from the light he got, didn't stop and rammed us. Both T/C's went to the hospital that day, one was stayed out of the field for the next six months.

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

There's no excuse for them flying that close to houses either when there's several thousand acres to one side of me where there is nothing but woods either.I didn't do it for fun,I did it cause they were literaly shaking my house apart and phone calls didn't help.After giving GPS co-ordinats it actually seemed to get worse. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. landsmasher

When it was happening to me I was living in the flight path of a county airport. I called the military because I was afraid that another aircraft might collide with them and crash into my house. They refused to acknowlege that there were any opperations going on in my area. I could have literaly hit them with my water balloon launcher... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

No excuse for them flying that close to your house and no excuse for you to put their lives in danger like that.