Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lots of noice then a bang!!! (please help)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything so thought I'd ask...

I'm getting a noise from what seems to be my wheels, it's like a whirring sound, reason I think it's from the wheel area is because today with the windows down, the sound kindda jumped from site to side of the Blazer, the sound seems to stop when I slow down and stop the pull away slowly but as I'm slowing down and just before I stop there is an almighty thump thump.

I have also put it in to neutral when it's moving and it still happens so I know it's not the gearbox (I think) I haven't driven it for too long in reverse so not sure if it happens then.

I'm guessing it's the hubs, coz that's all I think it could be, as I'm kinnda new to my Blazer. If it is the Hubs could I just undo the 'Torx' screws and have a look? or would I need to take the wheel off altogether to get at it?

I have a 1989 K1500 not raised all stock... http://www.kianoush.com/blazer/

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out, as I don't want to break anything.

Thank again,

Kia.

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm just taking a guess here but what about your brake calipers? you could be missing a bolt and that would let the Caliper to move and hit the wheel.

Eric

3. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I have checked all that, on both side and all ok. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

nothing is out of place and nothing missing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

You shouldn't have to take the wheels off to pull the hubs, but I would...At least then you can inspect the brakes (re: Highlander) and your axle U's, B-joints, etc..and grease it all up while you're there...

5. Highlander

Ok
    I would think if it was the hubs they would only make noise when your in 4wd. Now what kind of tranny do you have? and does it have a Slip yoke?

6. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok
    I would think if it was the hubs they would only make noise when your in 4wd. Now what kind of tranny do you have? and does it have a Slip yoke?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been driving it in 2WD and never have put it into 4WD.

The tranny is the standard one and what the hell is a slip yoke ?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (sorry)

7. Highlander

haha [ QUOTE ]
    what the hell is a slip yoke ?!?!

[/ QUOTE ] There are two kinds of drive shafts one has a Fixed yoke and the other has a slip yoke the fixed yoke has the u-joint the bolts to a output flange. A slip yoke is where the shaft slides or slips it to a output housing (If I had pic's I would post them) I'm guessing that you have a 241 T-Case and a slip yoke I just read a post about tow weeks ago about some guys having a lot of noise and what they did was take out the drive shaft and grease the shaft. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Eric

8. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    haha [ QUOTE ]
    what the hell is a slip yoke ?!?!

[/ QUOTE ] There are two kinds of drive shafts one has a Fixed yoke and the other has a slip yoke the fixed yoke has the u-joint the bolts to a output flange. A slip yoke is where the shaft slides or slips it to a output housing (If I had pic's I would post them) I'm guessing that you have a 241 T-Case and a slip yoke I just read a post about tow weeks ago about some guys having a lot of noise and what they did was take out the drive shaft and grease the shaft. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank Eric,

If you could that would be great.

The only thing I'd like to add to all that is, how come the noise went from side to side as I was driving? I have eliminated the sound 'bouncing back' from other objects so it's not that (I'm a sound engineer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

9. Highlander

take a look at this Like I said I'm guessing here and right now I don't have a clue on the noise that is weird. I'll give it some thought. But take a look at the post I found and see if what they talk about is like what you have going on.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I would think if it was the hubs they would only make noise when your in 4wd

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the hubs aren't properly disengaging.....

I'm willing to bet the problem is hub related. It almost sounds like one of the hubs is stuck somewhere between engaged and disengaged.

Killerboo- I'm assuming you have auto hubs. You stated that you have never put the rig in 4x4. Have you ever been under the truck and spun the front driveshaft by hand? This can sometimes cause a hub to attempt to engage and kind of stick there.

I would recommend putting the truck in 4-HI and driving it for about 100 meters. Then take her out of 4x4 and reverse for about 10 meters and slam on the brakes. I've seen this solve a semi-engaged auto hub problem in the past.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pull the hubs off and check the front bearings.

12. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ok, heres what your problame is: your hubs are junk! the auto locking hubs our trucks came with were not well enginered and fail regularly. i had the EXACT same problame with the hubs engaging on the steet. you an get manual loking hubs very cheap almost anywhere. i know the sound you mean, its scary huh? if you replace them your problames should be over. good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif