Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lots of ??? on my '72 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gjk5, Jun 2, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Lots of ??? on my \'72 K5

Just got the '72 last week, have quite a few questions:

It has a soft top with the snaps on my sheet metal /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, can I easily get rid of these if I buy a fasttrac top?

If I keep the top (vinyl over canvas) can I dye or paint it (it's white) another color?

How hard (and where) is it to get a new hard top?

Can you put a (folding) 2nd gen rear seat in a 1st gen?

Has a good amount of body roll, will new shocks and body mounts help ( 2.5" lift on 33's) or is that just how it's gonna ride?

It seems A LOT more maneuverable than my old 2nd gen, is it just me?

Anyway, any help/advice appreciated.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Lots of ??? on my \'72 K5

You would have to tack weld the holes, grind it flat, and repaint it...

I have no idea how you could change the color.

People get rid of hard tops every once and a while...just have to look in the for sale section...I have a double wall for sale if you want to drive to SoCal and pick it up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I guess you could put a folding seat in...but it would have nowhere to fold to unless you modified the frame and floor.

If you want to get rid of body roll put on a swaybar from a 73-up truck. It isn't that hard...the only thing you have to fab up is a way to bolt it to the frame.

The wheelbase on a 1st gen is 104" and a 2nd gen is 106.5". I don't think that extra 2.5" could make much difference.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ditto on what Triaged said /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

OK, about the hard top; there are no big holes or cracks, just two shallow depressions on the top and the bolt holes that hold it to the bed seem stripped out. Is there a fix it solution for the bolt holes? I guess I can live with the rest.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a fix it solution for the bolt holes?

[/ QUOTE ]

you could drill, tap, and use a larger bolt. that's what a few of us have done. Just make sure you put some type of anti-sieze stuff in there. I usually use grease or oil. I've noticed marine grease works best for that type of use.

[ QUOTE ]
    just two shallow depressions on the top

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lift it high enough, no one will notice /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

ARQ.

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If you lift it high enough, no one will notice /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I don't think i would try and die the top, I think you would just end up with white streaks where it folds when you put it down. If the top is in good shape, you should be able to sell it. New tops are made by http://www.specialtytopco.com/ & http://bestop.com/.

As far as the snaps go, my old kayline top has an "L" shaped piece that runs along the top of the bed rails and the snaps go into that. There are snaps in the windshield frame and the tail gate however.

The depressions in the hard top are fairly common with the doublewall tops. Single wall tops are lighter (slightly) and easier to bold down (bolt from the top down rather than the bottom up) and don't get the depressions or splitting common with the double wall tops. Both single wall & double wall top come up for sale on the board, but you gotta keep an eye out. Board member Kilomanjaro had a double wall top for sale a while back. You may check with him to see if he has sold it yet (it was on e-bay).

Welcome to the board and post some pictures of your truck when you get a chance.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

The PO says the top was brand new last year, but it does not have the angle on the bed rails, it has snaps along the side that look like sh*t. I will probably try to sell it and get a fastrack style top.

The hardtop is definitely a double wall, I am not too concerned about that if I can get a decent softtop anyway.

Thanks for the info!

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Yeah, once you get used to the soft top, there really isn't much reason for the hard top. I have never put the hard top on my rig. It just sits in the side yard.

Have you posted pictures of your rig yet?

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I can't wait to get that softtop on there, the desert should be fun this weekend. As far as the pictures go, I tried to post some but my pics are too large of a file for the coloradok5 member pics area (200k max).

If you have any suggestions for a picture server site I would appreciate it, also if someone could show me how to put a pic in the actual post that would be great.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I ended up giving my hard top away cuz it just sat on the side of the house for years then I was moving and said to my self..self you don't even like that damn thing why move it! So I gave it away /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Posting a pic is fairly simple once you get the concept down.
    1. Pic must be posted somewere on the internet
    2. Go to the pic on the internet and right click it and choose properties
    3. Highlight the address (must end in .jpg) right click th ehighlighted addy and choose copy
    4. start a post here then in the "Instant UBB Code box" click on image, this will pop up another window asking for the addy or URL, right click the space and paste it in, click ok and your addy should now showup in the post box.

Good luck
    Burt

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

On getting rid of the snaps not hard like said earlier if they are riveted drill out the rivets if screwed obviously just remove the screws. Then fill sand repaint. Depending on what shape the 72 is in you could also go with diamond plate bed caps and they might cover the holes.

I know they make some vinyl dye but not sure how long it would last. Check with an upholstry shop maybe. Maybe a vinyl paint or rhino lining? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

New hard tops good luck and bring a couple visa cards. Used not that hard I know a local place within an hour of you that has a few he might be willing to part with.

I didn't know 2nd gen seats folded? Maybe newer than that do. Floors arent same, hold downs also are different. You would have to drill new holes. I have a first gen rear seat that needs to be redone if interested. I don't have the hardware to mount it though but I think we could located that easy enough.

Body mounts and used shocks helped mine out tremendously for body roll and squeaks.

My 70 seems to turn a lot tighter than my 74 ever did even after the conversion from full time to lockout hubs. Maybe its just cause it looks cooler?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

pm me if you want me to check on parts.

12. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Hey GJ, just lettin ya know that I'm gonna be havivg some 72 k5 running gear coming up for sale this fall. I'm going 1 ton so the 4.11 12bolt & 44front are gonna be close by /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    OLD DAWG AKA Doug

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks. I appreciate that. I still have to pull the diff covers and figure out what ratios I have in there now. I am picking up the other one this weekend and checking ratios as well.(got two 72's in the deal) But if either of them are not 4:11's or close, I'll be interested. I definitely need to get that top on, I used the K5 for a bunch of projects this weekend and fried without a top.

14. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Don't sound like it's gonna be any cooler for awhile either. Time to head to the high country /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif