Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lots of problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by enfuego61, Jun 7, 2006.

1. enfuego61

enfuego61 Newbie

ok bear with me guys.....i bought a 69 blazer last year , and have had a couple issues with it ...hopefully you can help. first off, it has front disks but the brakes barely work, the pedal goes to the floor ( not like a bad master or air in lines ) and takes a lot of effort to stop, I've had guys tell me it is a characteristic of lifted trucks but i don't buy it, second , the steering is real squirly and the gear box bolts keep loosening from the frame......and finally my latest frustration, it deos not have the original motor, the guy i bought it off of said it was from a 77 blazer ( 350), it started running rough so i decided to do a tune up, changed plugs , wires, cap , rotor , and coil, everything went smooth but the truck wouldn't start afterward !! I checked the firing order about 20 times, went back to old coil , cap , and rotor....still no start but a lot of backfire through exhaust, started messing with dist and finally got it to start but only if i turned it 1/4 of the way counterclockwise , way off the timing mark, i don't get it.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Did you take the dist. out when you did the tune up? If so, you may have installed it 180 degrees out which can cause backfiring through the carb.

Did you check for spark? Fuel?

3. enfuego61

enfuego61 Newbie

i didn't take the dist out, checked the relation to no 1 cyl at tdc to where the rotor sits and its right on ( not sure if that tells anything ) got spark, and fuel. its got a new edelbrock carb that has been on for about 2 months

4. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

did you take all the plug wires off at once as you replaced them, or did you do them one by one ? . sounds to me possible you have two plug wires crossed.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Did they change the master cylinder when disc brakes were installed? The OE master has two chambers that are almost identical in size. A disc brake master will have a much larger chamber for the disc brakes.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You are assuming that the timing cover and the balancer are a matched set. I have seen MANY SBCs with mismatched covers and balancers. I would go back to square 1. Static time #1, then check that against what the timing indicator says. Sometimes you have to make your own CORRECT timing marks.

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Did they change the master cylinder when disc brakes were installed? The OE master has two chambers that are almost identical in size. A disc brake master will have a much larger chamber for the disc brakes.

My question also. The early blazer's and jimmy's some had power drum brakes and master cylinder won't work well with disc. Also might look at new booster. If you do I highly recommend going to 1 ton stuff for MC and booster. You may have to find different mounting bracket for behind booster because some were deeper than others. There are two types. One is like 2 inches deeper than the other. You want the shallow one but they bolt up the same way.

On the tune up thing did you set the dwell and then do timing. Been a while since I had points but I remember that (and someone correct me if I am backwards.) Dwell affects timing but timing doesn't affect dwell. so set dwell first and then timing and I believe you unplug vacuum hose when changing timing. Sorry if this is elementary for your skill level but don't know your experience :o

Also on one of my small blocks I couldn't get it to run for crap and then found out that the harmonic balancer (part with timing marks on it) slipped and didn't read right and that was why I couldn't get it to run. Ended up just timing by using remote tach.

Hope I haven't muddied the water too much. :wink1:

8. enfuego61

enfuego61 Newbie

fixed the timing issue ........dumb mistake but i had all of the wires moved one spot over, fired right up , i still have a compression problem in the no 7 cylinder ( only reading 50psi) . As far as the brakes go, the guy i bought it off of did not give me any info on where the front disk set up came from so i put a mc from a 71 on there it stops a little better but almost feels like the pedal has to be adjusted or something not sure exactly but i know it isnt right.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not for nuthin but did ya bleed the system well? Oh and a buddy had a problem with his brakes and came to find out one of the hard lines had got gummed up and wasn't letting fluid go back and forth. Just another thought thrown into the mix.

10. enfuego61

enfuego61 Newbie

eventually i am going to change all of the lines, and probably the proportioning valve......i bled the system about 20 times , still getting a little bit of dirty fluid