Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lots of things wrong, I need confirmation (56K beware - PICS!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, Oct 25, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Instead of putting all this into separate threads to talk about it, I'll put 'em all here. Just reference what you're talking about when you post up.

Is this bent??? I swear it is. (Or am I crazy??)

[​IMG]

Compare this side, which looks 'off':

[​IMG]

With this side, that looks 'ok':

[​IMG]

And look at these shock hoops.... To me, it appears the pass. side front is 'tweaked' (leaned to the inside). And compare the axle to the winch plate the to cab.... WTF? What do you think:

[​IMG]

This would be what I think is the good side:

[​IMG]

And I think this is obviously the faawked up side, leaned in, bent frame (see following pics to view how far in the damage went):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, on the rear sway bar, this is only has this part that is bent, which might explain why the rear axle is now off center (or maybe it was that fast, violent fall off a 12 foot drop off):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How do I find out exactly if my 14b is bent?

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Might just try laying a level on each axle tube to see if the 14bolt is bent. I have a slick tool for checking angles, but I don't think you want to come all the way over here to borrow it.

My big question would be: How did you do all of that????

3. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To my eyes this is what I see regarding the front of the truck. obvious impact on the passenger side, pushing the coilover and mount into the engine. I only see a single bolt mounting the bridge. It appears to me that the whole front section is now twisted. The rear I can't really tell...

As for the 14 bolt I'd probably use one of those laser level things that project a perfectly straight line to help eye it up.

Rene

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

im gonna agree with trustyk5. when the passenger coilover mount bent it might of tweaked the frame as well. make the winch mount look the way it does. i just read the thread in the lounge im sorry to that. i had seen that truck a few weeks ago in another thread and loved it. sorry to hear of the disaster. if you dont mind me asking what was its wheelbase? sorry to hijack

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

looks to me that the passenger side of the 14bff is bent up slightly. if you cant find another one then i will go pull one out for $150-200 for ya. shipping might cost alot though...wish i could be of more help.

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

muddy, is was 108".

Psychotic, no thanks, I have a 14b sitting here, cheap.

Rene, I'll try that laser level....that's a good idea.

I just know this: I am going to need ALOT of help from friends - I'm not going to be able to do this by myself.

I need another frame....question is, should I go with another GM frame, or should I do something, like, box up my own out of 2x3 tube....?

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

make a box frame...you wont have to worry about bending a frame again...actually, if your really good with tubing, make a whole tube frame...and leave all the k5 distinctive stuff on it so it doesnt look too much like a buggy. keep it a truck, but have a sweet tube frame.

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

my vote is for the 2x3 box frame. super strong. id probably get another cab and narrow and tube the front and get some chevy fenders and cut the insides out and use them as skins. i like how you had the back.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anything any of us can do? Most of us are quite a ways away but if there are any parts you need that are shippable and I have I'd be glad to box 'em up.

11. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Thanks so much, Mikey. Problem is, I need things like extra hands, experience, and tools/knowledge.... There is alot I don't know, or can't do, and I don't want to have another lawn ornament sitting in the garage until I get fed up and part it out :mad: . I'm in the process of planning out exactly what route I want/should take, so I know what I'm getting into, but either way, I know I won't be able to do it myself, alone. And most the folks I know around here (who I would trust to work on my rig with me) have their own junk to work on, so 'helping' frequently to get my **** back on the trail isn't plausible.

This sucks.

12. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Oh, and when I really think about it, building a 2x3 frame isn't plausible....cost of steel is outrageous, so another GM frame would be more cost effective....

13. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

whats the history on this truck. did u just buy it??? looks like some one sure put a beatin on it. :eek1:

14. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Check my other threads.

15. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if u bring it back during the christmas break i can give ya a helping hand, but i think u'll prolly need more than jus that :(

16. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Thanks, bro.... But you're right. I don't think I'll be bringing it home for Christmas now :mad: . Well, not without a miracle, but it's unlikely I'll get my act together (or the money needed) to get a trail rig again. I'm still up for a NoVA area ride while I'm home for the holidays, so I can fatass a seat if we get enough participation.

17. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I kinda figured it'd be more man hours than anything, just wondering if there were any parts that we could donate. If I weren't halfway across the country I'd lend a hand and a wrench but Florida is a ways from here.

Make sure to post up and let us know if there are any parts that we can help you out with though, like I said, I don't exactly have a stash, but I'd be more than happy to box up anything you need that I have.

18. muddybuddy

if i have the money for my tires, and can find a workable front driveshaft im game for that :D

lemme know exactly what parts your looking for, and ill keep my eyes pealed for parts trucks :wink1: then u can at least bring some parts home with you

19. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Mikey, I've posted in the Wanted section about a 465 bellhousing, 'cuase I very obviously split mine into two pieces. And while I'm at it, I want to switch from the mechanical linkage to hydro stuff.... So I'm looking for that. I know I'm going to need valve covers, as seen in those pics, too. I don't know if I'm going to need to service the valvetrain, but I hope I won't have to. I'm guessing I'm going to put in different motor mounts, but I don't know if I want to keep 'em stock, or use something beefier/aftermarket. I'll know more as I take stuff outta the chassis and look it over. I wish I had a bigger garage, so I could put the two side my side and do the frame swap that way.

muddy, what's a 'workable' front driveshaft?

20. muddybuddy

something that is about 37" long that will bolt up to my 208 flange and front 10b :D id have to get a more accurate measurement, but it needs to be around that long.

i posted in wanted section, hopefully someone will have one