Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lots of tranny fluid...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wraenking, Mar 10, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

came pouring out of the bottom of my truck today. i was pulling my boat to go get fixed and all of a sudden, bam, a whole lot of white smoke. there was fluid everywhere, so i could not find the source. the tranny is fine (i think), so what do you guys think?

pump seal?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

most likely it is the trans line. the pump seal would just leak a little(comparitivly) check everywhere the cooler lines run. i might have a hole rusted in it somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

let me add that is not leaking anymore.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it could be the pump seal if it stopped, does the exaust run under the converter/flywheel?

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

yeah, i think all the whites smoke was just from the fluid hitting the exhaust

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do you have a locking dipstick on the tranny?

GM put them on for that exact reason.

You need a cooler.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have a locking dipstick on the tranny?

GM put them on for that exact reason.

You need a cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed, fluid got hotter than usual pulling the boat and forced it's way out the dipstick and landed on the headers. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea the 700's have a vent on the top of them too for that reason, you say you were pullin your boat? The fluid could of gotten hot and started to come out the vent and spill out on your pipes creating the smoke, if it's not leaking now i'd check your fluid level then get a cooler. I remember me and my uncle a few years back were wheelin in some snow and his 700r4 got really hot and started pumping fluid everywhere.. he just refilled it and kept on truckin' /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i am not that ballsy to just add fluid!! LOL

MY BUDDY MENTIONED THE DIPSTICK AND THE VENT UP TOP. I WILL CHECK TODAY. sorry for the caps

i was pulling in overdrive which he said not to do, and i do have a tranny cooler, but is there a way to check it?

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] But your balzy enough to drive it around low on fluid burning it up? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    i was pulling in overdrive which he said not to do

[/ QUOTE ] And people wonder why the 3/4th clutch pack fails in a th700. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif First off you probably wasted more fuel pulling it in OD than you would have with it not lugged down pulling strong in 3rd. A tranny already has to work extra hard to push the vehicle down the road in OD but add a boat to it and you are asking for it to overheat and start slipping. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] But your balzy enough to drive it around low on fluid burning it up? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i never said i was driving it around low on fluid. i saw the smoke and immediatelt pulled over.