Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lots of Water

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73CowBlazer, Jun 13, 2001.

1. 73CowBlazer

73CowBlazer Registered Member

I live in Houston and my 16 year old daughter took the Blazer out and got stuck in about 2 and a half feet of mud for about 5 hours last week. What do I need to drain and refill in the way of differentials, axels, and or bearings? I don't think the motor or trany was actually submerged.
    Thanks,
    CowBlazer

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't think you need to do anything except hose her off real good. I did the same thing once, except the mud was about 3-3 1/2 feet deep, and it was actually more oceanwater than mud.
    I just spent an hour afterwards hosing out every nook and cranny, and the truck has been doing fine for 2 years since then (at least until the new owner blew up the tranny/tc)...

If you do want to change the diff oil, though, you need to buy new gaskets, unbolt the covers, and the fluid will drain when the cover comes off. Then bolt the covers back on (I would use some gasket sealer too), and refill to cap.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 06/13/01 02:10 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Cheap insurance logic would tell me to change all fluids. I mean that's would I would do. $80-$100 isn't much compared to axles, engine, tranny, t/c rebuild.

My .02

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Thats right he said all fluids, brake fluid is hydroglkghlakj(sp) and it will absorb water.
    Have fun, it could have been worse.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'd change all the fluids just to be safe. Repack front wheel bearings too. As said earlier-cheap insurance...

Brake fluid is "hygroscopic"--absorbs water.

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I live in houston and i have a four inch lift and with the new 35's inch super swamper boggers i just put on i had no trouble i did alot of good deeds that night it rained like 23 inches made a little money but mainely helped pull out alot of stuck and flooded cars it was great i was out until like 4.00 int the morning helping people the coolest part all the the bad ass 4/4's came out at once i have never hadf so much fun in my life. i should probebly check the front and rear ends huh.

7. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Best to change all of the fluids to play it safe. You might also want to tear down the front hubs and repack them with fresh grease and make sure there is no water trapped in there. Also, make sure you do a standard lube job for all of the ball joints and such to make sure there is no water trapped in them aswell. 5 hours doesnt sound like a long time but water will get in EVERYWHERE fast. Better safe than sorry.

78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>http://www.bowtiecrawler.com</A>

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, water is a very good lubercator, but when it gets hot and evaporates, [censored] happens.
    Also water and oil based produces don't usually like to mix.
    Have fun, water is the gold in life !