Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lotsa questions maybe a bit newbie style.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Mar 13, 2007.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok 85 k5 350/700/208 10b's w/ 35 white lol gigin up for shiloh in april so rig needs some love...

1 is it ok to have a rear pinion angle not perfectly lined up with the driveshaft? (for a 6 inch lift stock springs with blocks)

2 should you be able to turn an auburn limited slip by hand like it was open?
    or is it locked up and slips on turns or what? hows that work?

3 at startup my brakes are REAL sensitive then i give em a few pumps and they are "normal" again. normal is a few inches of pedal travel where sensitive is almost none.

4 my rear 10b pinion nut is barely leaking, seems to be right at the nut and not at the housing area. how difficult is the fix and is it worth it or should i just leave a sleepin dog?

5 is it normal to be able to hear your pcv valve rattle inside the cab on accelerations?

6 the limited slip in the rear, can i put it up front after i upgrade to 14ff?

thank you to the ck5 folks yet again.:bow: :bow: :bow:

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

here's the answer you're expecting to get:

ahem...

rip out both axles.
    put in 3/4 axles with 4.10s and 14bff rear.
    weld rear diff
    get 8 bolt wheels.
    mount 35s
    trim fenders.
    wheel
    change as necessary.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

1. yes, but how bad is it?
    2. limited slip takes alot of wheel speed to lock.
    3. No travel can mean the booster is not pumped up or going bad, or the calipers are sticking.
    4. probably your pinion seal. not too hard to replace, but how bad is it leaking?
    5.I sometimes do, but I don't know if it is normal.
    6. Dunno if you can, don't think it would be a good idea though.

4. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1 the pinion angle will be very minimal. im swappin in mannys old axles w/ 456:waytogo: thanks manny! for the time being and my perches were moved while his are stock. and i have the angled block to accomodate for the pinion angle so it will be minimal

2 so is this one locked up and no good? because its tight, i even put tires on it to try to get more torque on it to try but no luck on it. it has no oil in it but theres a light coating in there still, i woudlnt think this would affect its oerations?

3 are theyre any ways to check to see if my booster is functioning properly cause i dont wanna drop a coupla bills on this if i dont have to

4the pinion seal is barely barely leaking and when the pinion was pointed downward it got glossy with oil but like 2 drips over a week.

6 why would putting that LS in the front be advised against? i dont do any rock crawling and doubt i ever will with the rig but i really like a bit of mud.

thanks again:bow:

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

pinion angle will live but should be corrected if its a DD

I say the tighter the limited slip the better

Yes there is but I don't remember the procedure. Probably involves a vacuum gauge.

Pinion seal is not worth changing. gear oil is cheap. I would be surprised if it continues to leak once the axle is mounted.

Because of the vastly different wheel speeds that can be achieved while turning some prefer not to run a ls diff up front because it can cause strange things to happen.