Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lotts of pictures of old tools

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by surpip, Jun 9, 2006.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

all of these were taken at the winchester mystery house, lots of cool stuff here. More pictures from the house in the lounge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

these are old batterys they used to power the servants calling system in the basement
    [​IMG]
    all the rest of these are from the out buildings, garden tools, and a lathe and pump in the mechanical garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    old hose reel
    [​IMG]
    thread cutting dies
    [​IMG]
    water pump, i think
    [​IMG]
    pics of the lathe, it was belt drivin i guess, not sure what kind of power though, i couldent see where it hooked up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and thats all i got:D

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Those are some pretty sweet tools man!:D

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW! that stuff is really cool! I dig old tools, what history. makes you wonder who, what kind of men back then used and built stuff with those tools. those were REAL men back then. things were so much more dangerous in industry back in the day. very cool. ofcourse the lathe I really like :laugh: . thanks surpip.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i thought you an mofugly would like that
    the cool thing is, you could probally hook that lathe up to some power source and it would probally work great

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

it would be a bit of work to get all the rust off it but a 1/2 day soak with some real good rust penatrant and some red Scotch Brite and some good old fashioned elbow grease and it would look pretty good. that thing is not too far from how my 1946 lathe looks as far as how its built.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Belt driven tools like that lathe usually were in a shop that had overhead power shafts. The primary drive belt came down from the ceiling and each tool had an idler pulley to take up the slack when the tool was needed.

The term "Grease Monkey" came from the name of the kid whose job it was to climb up into the rafters and keep all of the pillow blocks lubed. Those he missed could usually be found by the smell of burning wood since most were Rock Maple.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

That old lathe isreally cool. I have a ton ov vintage machine shop pics on my old comp. It truly is amazing how much was accomplished back in the days before CNC, CAD, whatnot. Those fokkers didn't even have a calculator!