Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loud clank vibration/clanking help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Mar 28, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

when i was driving down the road today, i was feeling a vibration like the u joint was wearing out and breaking. when i got home and i put the truck in park and then reverse there was a large clank that seemed like it was coming from the transfer case area. i have a 208 t case....could the vibration be cause by something gone wrong in the transfer case or the cv joint on the front of the transfer case? i replaced the rear u joints last fall and have driven about 5000 miles since then, so i dont think it could be those again, but im not sure. can anyone help? thanks. :confused:

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let's check over a few things first:

Place your truck on a level surface and apply the parking brake AND chock the wheels forward and back. Then put the truck in neutral. Climb under the chassis to where you will be able to grip the driveshaft. Try turning it back and forth. If there is any LARGE amount of play, say maybe more than 1/8th of a turn, it's most likely in the gears and/or the spider gears. If that checks out fine, then move towards the universal joints. You'll have to remove the shaft to really check. If those seem fine, then I would reccomend checking the output shaft splines or the slip yoke splines.

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hm yeah ill check all that tmrw when the rain stops. It just seemed odd to me today because when my ujoints went i felt a constant large vibration, now it seems to be a low grumbling noise.. ill see in the morn thanks for the tips.

one other stupid question.. where the heck is the filler plug on my 208 i cant find it at all.