Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loud clank .. when shifting .. etc

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, May 26, 2005.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

i finally have my truck on the road ... been years .. she has 14 bolt,w/detroit and sm465/205 twin-stick .. hydraulic clutch ..d60 crossover/arb ..

i am driving this thing to costa rica in july .. and need to get her where i feel comfortable ...

have a couple of things going on ..

1) when shifting i feel a clank 80 % of the time in between shifts or when i let off the gas it sometimes will mak a similar noise ... it sounds like it is coming from the t-case and tranny area

2) at high speeds when getting on it .. there is a rattle sound coming from the tranny .. sounds like a bearing going or something ??

3) sometimes the detroit will give out a huge BaNG when driving ...

4) when disengaging the clutch sometimes the truck shakes pretty bad when letting off ... could this me a master cyl ??

is this normal ?? anyone experience any of this before ??
    thanks for the feedback ...

2. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the u-joints?
    gabe

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

the ujoints are pretty new ..

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'll take a shot but there just suggestions...

1) (since the u-joints should be ok) the 465/205 combo has a lot of inherent slop so if it's a clunk when going between power and coast I would bet it's normal backlash (I'm also assuming it's not violent like something is loose).

2) Driveshaft vibration? New lift?

3) Sounds like normal Detroit function. They can make sounds and/or jolts when locking back up, this typically is more noticable with manual trannys.

4) Definitely not the m/c. Is this going straight or usually when turning? Can you better describe the shake? Where do you feel it (seat/steering wheel/whole truck/etc).

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

don't think it is driveline .. my axle perches were cut and welded and right now the pinion in pointing straight at the t-case ..

as far as the shaking .. it seems like it is when the clutch is being released .. and pushing up onto the pressure plate .. ???
    the whole truck rattles pretty bad ...

thanks ...

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

When my old truck had a 4spd and Detroit and it had some peculiar characteristics (like the loud bang when it engaged).

When I used to turn, clutch and coast into my driveway I would get a lot of audible "clunking" along with a mild shudder during a turn as the Detroit tried to differentiate. The shudder was sort of a feeling like the truck (Detroit) was fighting the tight turn.

7. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

this is good to hear .. as i am used to the 700r4 and 208 combo ..

the one thing that irks me is the shaking when letting loose of the clutch ..

all of the clutch components are new .. and for whatever reason is still does it ..
    one thing to note is that much of the clanking when engaging the clutch happened after i put it into 4wheeldrive for the first time ... makes me wonder if for some reason the t-case is having a problem .. i have the twin stick from ORD ... i know that the front driveshaft isn't turning .. so it shouldnt be engaged in 4 wheel drive ...

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

What kind of driveshaft are you running in the rear? If not a CV style, then the angles at the tcase and rear axle should be the same, or you will prematurely wear out u-joints - and cause this type of noise....been there, done that!

9. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

yep, got the cv style ....

10. GEORGIA GABE

are all of your mounts intact.. tranny,engine ? just a thought ( I ripped all of mine in half in one weekend..eg dont buy the cheap napa ones )
    gabe

11. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

yes .. the tranny and engine mounts are brand new and look perfect ...

the clutch seems to be settling down a bit .. but there still is a clank in between shifts ..

12. GEORGIA GABE

did you have the flywheel surfaced when you did the clutch
    gabe

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

negative .. could this one of the problems ??

14. GEORGIA GABE

Sometimes When A Clutch Is Replaced And The Flywheel Is Not Resurfaced You Will Get A "chatter" It Feels Like There Is A Shake In The Clutch Pedal When Released And The Whole Truck Will Shake Like You Let The Clutch Out Too Quickly With Not Enough Throttle.
    Gabe

15. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Sorry I can't help you at all with your problems, but I have to mention how green with envy I am about taking a k5 down to Costa Rica. I was just there in March driving a rental jeep around. A few years back we got into some sticky situations trying to wheel a rental KIA. The whole time I was down there I was planning in my head an epic adventure consisting of my k5, 1-4 people, some surfboards, and thousands of miles of coastline. I am so jealous that you are actually doing what seems to be a similar trip. Be sure to report back with the details! Good Luck!

16. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

oh, yeah ..

it is going to be an amazing adventure ..

you need to read "in search of captain zero" ... book that describes the whole drive down to costa surfing and camping ..

i have an offroad pop up camper w/35 inch tires on it .. will be dragin that puppy everywhere ...

i will post up some pics when i can ...

pura vida