Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loud clicking sound when turning and moving slowly...help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Jul 7, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Sunday on my way back from camping in the sieras I stoped at a gas station in Madera. When I started leaving I get this weird click or crunch type sound that is pretty loud. I had the wheels turned (not full lock) and rolling forward really slowly. It sounded like it made the sound 2-3 times per wheel rotation, but I couldnt figure where it was coming from....has anyone had problems like this???? A little more info....I had just drivin 2hours down some steap grades using a good amount of brakes and lower gears with 4 people and a full to the brim load. I know this is vauge, but any suggestions you guys could give me would be great. OH...it stopped doing it after I pulled forward and put the tranny back in park. Was fine the rest of the trip. Then I noticed it alittle when I was pulling it in at home.

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Check and grease up your u-joints. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

If it were a grease problem...why would it just go away??? That is what is irking me. I will check them anyway and add some grease. Think it could be my brakes....maybe they got hot and sticky from the long downhill ride??

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Mine did that exact same thing just before the front CV exploded and threw the shaft into the tranny pan.

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hav had this happen before. The spring from the rear seal had popped out and was stuck in the bearing and would make a clicking sound at low speeds only.

6. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

i just got through dealing with this problem on my truck as well but it was the locking hub. the wheel bearings loosened up soo much that they forced the c-clip off on the end of the axle shaft and the gears just shot into each other and self destructed. the crunching was the accuator spring in the hub that got eated by the gears. i would suggest taking the hub appart before it gets much worse cause my 4 wheel drive dosent even work right now.

7. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Damn it can be alot of things, that is why it is bugging me. I am going to try to pinpoint to sound tonight and hopefully will be able to work from there. I have heard about the autolocking hubs going out...could this be there time??? I will try to see where this sound is coming from and let you guys know. Will also greese all my zerks just in case..

8. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Something easy to check

My son's '90 Suburban was making a fairly loud, several times per wheel rotation clicking noise for a while, and it went away above, say, 15 mph. Turns out it was the center cap on the alloy wheels--the OEM Silverado trim wheels had a little "4x4" emblem in the center of an aluminum cap which was bolted to the alloy wheel. The threads had stripped and only one of the remaining bolts was there, so off they came, and no more clicking.
    I did also experience the failure of one of the automatic locking hubs, and it gave a LOUD clicking noise, replaced by a grinding noise after a few miles. Replaced with Warn manuals, and no problems since.

9. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Re: Something easy to check

I dont have stock wheels on there anymore, but the sound seemed like it could be the hub...when it starts going bad does it try to lock it self when it is not suppost to??? The sound was very much a clicking sound. At the gas station I "clicked" it over to the side, checked everything undernieth for something odd, backed out of the spot I was in with no sounds and then drove foward and home without anymore sounds or problems. It then did it breifly again when I was pulling into my parking spot at home after unloading my gear, havent looked at it since...but that was only yesterday.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how many zip ties got put on your driveshaft?? LOL, sounds like possibly the hub clicking..

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do you have a locker? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

check ur wheel bearings and stuff..mine made clunky sounds turning...i pulled the front hubs and cleaned and repacked the front wheel bearings..sound went bye bye..also they mgiht be a little loose in there...do the jack up the truck and try to move the wheel trick..

13. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Dont have a locker...yet at least. I havent tried the spin the free wheel thing yet, but that will prob be tonight. I got under there last night and lubed all my zerks and checked all my joints and everything looked fine, then had my buddy drive around while I krept along side and we couldnt get the problem to occure again. What a pain. Just as a option....how long in terms of years/miles do I have before I have to rebuild/replace my hubs??? I have an 87 with 130k on it, not sure how many in 4x4. They have never been touched to my knowledge and I am wondering if maybe its time for some Warns.

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My Auto hubs were doing the same thing. If I were you I would just replace 'em with Warns, it was easily the best upgrade I ever did to it...