Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loud Detroit ratching noise.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Apr 2, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The rear 12 bolt's detroit started making a loud ratching noise after the last wheeling trip.
    Only when there is no load, as part throttle when coasting, or when ya get on the brakes hard.

Also an odd vibration when ya are running 60 mph and up AND ya give it a lot of pedal.

Ideas...............

2. dontoe

I've put hundreds of miles on it since the noise started..........any ideas?

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine has been making a similar noise lately too. I drove it from Illinois to Cali like that, and have been all over so-cal with it.
    I did pull the diff cover to do a quick inspection, but saw nothing wrong. I suspect that something is worn out inside the detroit, but I don't care. It does still work the same

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

If setup correctly detroits should last forever, or atleast in the 14 bolts I believe they do. I would pull the cover look for metal in the oil, clean it out, refill, and flog it.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Wait till it makes the loud pop. Mine did it for the first time in the driveway the other day. I thought I blew a shaft. :) I quick inspection found no issues.

The ratcheting seems to be normal. Mine doesn't do it a lot, but when it does, it will wake you up...

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check air pressure in the tires. A big difference side-to-side can make one tire roll further than the other, which confuses the mechanism in the locker.

7. dontoe

Thanks, first thing I did :waytogo: ....................guess I better pull the cover.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine did that when I was sitting on my dif and not the tires out at superstition. I was going 40 by speedo but 0 speed over ground:D . When I stepped on the brakes apparently 1 is adjusted tighter than the other and it stopped one wheel and the other one kept spinning and made the ratcheting noise.:D

Ira