Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loud Exhaust and Juvenile Behavior...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Oct 3, 2003.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

So I'm in the DQ Drive-Thru tonight waitng for my large chocolate malt.

The truck in front of me is a chevy longbox 2-wheeler with some tiny little duals.

The truck behind me is a Furd with one of those super-duper million toolbox bed things on it. (Why can't I remember what that's called???)

I can't see the truck behind him, but I heard it in a few minutes.

The guy in front of me apparently knows the guy behind me, and they start revving their rigs and yee-haw-ing to each other.

I'm in my K5. It has a respectable 350 with a Holly 750, stock exhaust manifolds, 2.25" duals with Flowmaster mufflers, all the way out behind the rear wheels. Sounds perty durn good. Much better than these weenies! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So I let'er eat and drown out both their rigs! I leaned out the window and waved a friendly 'Howdy' and they both laughed and waved back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Then out of nowhere comes the loudest exhaust I've ever heard from the back of the line. Not to be outdone, he wound it out so tight I thought he was going to blow it up. Sounded like a small block with straight pipes and no mufflers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

We all leaned out our windows and waved. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The folks at the DQ were amused as well. I love a story with a happy ending. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

I've been driving for about, say, 20 years now, and there has never been a time that I did not have a V8 with duals on it. My G20 Van has the sweetest sounding exhaust on it of anything I own right now. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yes, it's a 'Post Whore' post. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif But thought you might get a grin from it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Any other good exhaust stories??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I have a couple more good ones but have to go respond to how I'm going to spend my $800-ish Million. Then more exhaust stories. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Paul 'X'

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I miss my straight pipes. I think they sounded cleaner than anything else I've had on my truck.

My buddy's K30 with a 454 and headers and dual straights sounds quite unlike any other rig I've ever heard.

However, nothing beats my buddy's brand new 2000 K3500 that had a 454, no cats, and dual straights when it was less than a month old. Too bad he wrecked it before it was even a year old...it was a bad ass truck.

Can you imagine cruising at 1800 RPM in OD with a 4L80E and not being able to hear your radio at full blast or even talk to someone on a cell phone?

He certainly could...for him, it was reality.

When he had a bobcat on a trailer behind that thing, it sounded sooooo sweet though.

My friends think I'm a pussy because I have headers, 2 1/4, and dual flowmasters now. In high school my truck always had 12" glasspacks and after I graduated, it sported straight pipes for a while.

I can't really stand my current exhaust as I can't really hear it, but I drive up to Chicago in my rig now once in a while and it has to be quiet to keep the cops off my ass.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Mines just a single 3" all the way back with a high flow cat along the way so I can pass visual inspection. I was in the parking lot the other day and cracked it and set off the car alarms around me. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lol car alarms? I did that with my exhaust even when it rotted off.

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I used to love taking my staight piped Cutlass 442 to the Cherry Creek Mall parking garage and driving up and down all four levels setting off car alarms. It's an uppity snobby Saks Fift Ave type mall full of BMWs and Lexuses. Man those folks would get pissed. 40 alarms at once is a noise that brings a joyful tear to my eyes...

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

My exhaust runs through headers to flowmaster 3 chambers then turns out in front of the wheels. The fun part is that the treuck is tall enough so if someone is driving like an ass and their windows are down, I can pull up next to them at a stoplight and give them a faceful of exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's only worked out a couple of times but those couple of times put a smile on my face.

7. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I just got a pulled over awhile back for driving my friends Chevelle with the header cut outs activated I dont know why people dont like to listen to a powerful strong 396 big block tearing down the road at 3:30a.m. It's just music to my ears, It ranks up there with Nirvana and Lynnard Skynnard.

8. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Ive got duals with 40 series on my K5. Some yuppie decided he HAD to set the alarm on his sedan while he went in and paid for gas. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity when I was right on the other side of the pump. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have someone by my house with open pipes with no mufflers.I hear him every morning at 4:00 am when he leaves for work.It would not be so bad but when he goes down the street he thinks he is John Force. LOUD!!!!!!!!!!

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yeah, i got the straight piped deal goin on too, except i haven't got my headers yet. but just imagine this- me, going through a parking lot, in 4low- with an NP241, 4.88s, and an SM465 is 1st (or granny if you prefer) uhh. . . yeah, about 3k rpm just cruising through the lot. . .hehe. . . oh it's so fun. . . or i think it will be. . . car alarms will just love it. . .especially since i got mine turned out to the side. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (at night they throw flames!!) well, they won't once i get my carb rebuilt /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lol SM 465 1st is so low, who needs 4 low to show off and make noise?

12. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Yeah I love doing the parking garage bit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...when I'm in there my truck looks like a forkin' bumper car with the antenna dragging the ceiling /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Open headers is fun too- had to get it to the exhaust shop somehow... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i cannot stand going under overpasses though, it's beyond unbearable. . . it's painful. . . but then again same goes for the car beside me with their windows down. . . /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've gotten to the point where I don't like loud exhausts anymore. I've done straight pipes and collector mufflers before and it was cool for like the first 5 minutes you drive it.

My neighbor thinks he's cool because he has glass on his truck. He goes to work at 4:40am. Every morning he bounces up and down between 2000 and 3000 rpm trying to keep it running. He then takes off John Force style trying to light up the tires and make them bark between gears. It's annoying as hell to get woken up by that. It's even worse than the fscking JakeBrakes that go by my house. If he does it too many days in a row I spark up my quad at about 8pm (just after he goes to sleep). It's 118dB of two-stroke blownout fiberglass pain at 3' and 45° with 3/4 throttle. Half a dozen rips up and down the yard or across the street and the only thing still sleeping are the corpses.

On my truck right now I've got some cheap Advance Auto mufflers and it dumps under the bed in front of the axle. You can hardly hear it at highway speeds. In fact, even with the street tires the headers make more noise than the rest of the exhaust. However, at idle, it resonates something fierce. It can be heard in a house with the windows closed a block away. It is almost unbearable in the cab.

When pulling up to a drivethrough I either have to turn the motor off or bump it up to 1300 rpm in order for them to hear me.

You can't talk over it idling, even if you're 15-20' away. In fact, on a run yesterday some people were trying to talk over my truck and they couldn't.

The noise gets old after a while. And I'm only 21.

15. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I have 4' of straight pipe coming off the manifold, then cut off...it throws some huge flames at night too...

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Had a kid in my town with a TTB Ford, he thought it was (to borrow shaggs already borrowed expression) "the bee's knees". Anyway, he puts 3" straight pipe duals off a stock 302, it shot flames, and a lot of people thought he was cool. Well, he melted various wires he had run jerry rigged across his cab and got around 4mpg. Yeah, he was COOL /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have manifolds, with half an old 2" exhaust system, a few feet of 2.5 off that, and two cheap as I can get parts store mufflers that turn out in front of the front spring hanger under my flatbed. I would have gotten proper size but I was 500 miles always at the time and asked my mom to measure.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 2.5" dual pipes, 40 series flowmasters and 5" tips that dump between the axle and gas tank. with my cam it sounds awesome and with the large tips it has a very deep agressive flowmaster sound that gets extremely loud with just a little throttle and head turning at about 5,000 RPM.
    I have never been a fan of open axhaust, just sounds like one big exhaust leak to me. [​IMG]

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've never been a fan of flowmasters with anything except dumps, and look what I've got on my truck now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hate having to run mufflers, but I don't want the cops on my ass all the time. The Flows are too quiet, but they're the loudest non-glasspacks on the market so they'll do.

19. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I have 2.5" dual pipes, 40 series flowmasters and 5" tips that dump between the axle and gas tank. with my cam it sounds awesome and with the large tips it has a very deep agressive flowmaster sound that gets extremely loud with just a little throttle and head turning at about 5,000 RPM.
    I have never been a fan of open axhaust, just sounds like one big exhaust leak to me. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man, i think i have a very similar setup to you. i have headers, true duals, no cats, 2 flow 40's, and dumps before the rear axle.

do those tips sound good??? mine sounds really good, but it could be louder. i think i'm gonna have to get pipes run to the back corners per. Texas dot law.

heres what mine looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My question is where do you get tips that big for 2.25" pipe. I'd prefer straight cut tips but angles would work too. And where do you get them for a reasonable price?