Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loud grinding noise on start.....no start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by webb, Oct 12, 2002.

1. webb

webb Newbie

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif ok i got an 86 K5 -350 auto and on starting the teeth of my starter and flexplate clash alot sometimes stickin together. it did it once and a while then it got bad and stop starting cuz it broke off the nose cone thing that covers the teeth soi got a new starter worked great then a few days later back to that noise with the new starter. so i fuct with the shims and all that and some times it worked for a few good starts then back to that horrible noise now it is just fuct again i think...i am out of ideas and despratly need some help /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif so if some one could try and give me some fresh ideas on what it is im really hoping its not the flexplate cuz hte teeth seem to be decent and its doing it all teh way around not just a bad spot so i cant figure it out.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

This happened to me alot toowhen i had my 305... but even with a new engine and new clutch and flex plate with same starter it grinded sometimes... i replaced the starter and no more at all. For you though... it could be the flywheel maybe? Good luck

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I had that same problem with mine a few years back. I must have gone through about 4 new starters before I really looked for the cause of the problem. What I found was that the starter needed to be shimmed. When I bought the K5 there were not any shims under the started and the thing worked great but, one day out of the blue the thing just stopped working correctly. My advice to you would check if you have the correct clearances between the fly-wheel and the starter.

Charles

4. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

The 305's are not very forgiving on starters. The same exact thing that you described above has happened to me with a starter that has been in my Blazer for over 2 yrs. I got a remanufactured starter which was $35(after rebate for old one) at Advanced Auto parts, and I made sure that it was shimmed to the needed height and have not had problems since. One of my wifes relatives used to have an older Chevy pickup with a 305 and he told me that he went thru 4 starters during the time he owned it. Also try shimming just the passenger side bolt and see if that works.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem. Thought it was shims, that was corrected, and starter was grinding within weeks. Went thru 4 all told - Autozone, some other kind, NAPA. All sucked. Finally went with an AC Delco and all the problems sorted out. Apparently (according to some mechanics I spoke to) GM vehicles are very touchy sometimes about starters.

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

When I had a 305 in My Blazer, I must have gone through atleast 6 different starters in a 2 month period due to the grinding noise you are having. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

LMAO!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Funny subject on the GM starters as I've had this problem with my '85 K30 for the past 6 years since I bought it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've replaced 5 starters in it during this 6 year time frame. The last one I got for it, still under it now, is a life-time warranty starter. It worked for a while but every now and then it will grind. Just not too bad.

I would try the life time warranty starter wherever you get your parts from and if that don't work, get a brand new AC Delco starter. I've heard the brand new starters are the way to go to eliminate the grinding problems. But expect to spend close to or around $200 for an AC Delco starter from GM. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

When my current lifetime starter goes bad, I'm keeping it and buying a new Delco starter. Why junk the lifetime starter if you buy a new one? May as well keep it or trade it in for a new one again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif