Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loud grinding sound when going up a hill

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Nov 23, 2004.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

When my truck starts to go up a hill I will hear this loud grinding sound coming from under the truck. What is going on??? Plus my truck keeps on kicking out of gear. And the only way to get it back into gear is to put in "N" shut the truck off and then stick it in 4L then I will start the truck put it in drive and the take it out of 4L.

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Is your transfer case slipping out of gear? How well is the transfer case linkage adjusted?

3. adamforsythe

[ QUOTE ]
    Is your transfer case slipping out of gear? How well is the transfer case linkage adjusted?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ye my T-case is slipping out. I don't know how well it is adjusted. How do I check without taking it to the shop? I need my tranny and T-case to last in tell I get a NP205 and my new custom built TH350 tranny.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Tranfercase could be shot already . I put up with that for a long time before it wouldn't grab any gear except 4 low . When it starts popping out and grinding on the street at 45-50 mph you'll really be annoyed . By the time I tore the case down the range selector was so worn I couldn't put the plastic pads back on , as the whole thing was knife edged . There really isn't much else to go wrong in there . Adjust the linkage , if it persists , you'll need to rebuild it or replace it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. adamforsythe

[ QUOTE ]
    Tranfercase could be shot already . I put up with that for a long time before it wouldn't grab any gear except 4 low . When it starts popping out and grinding on the street at 45-50 mph you'll really be annoyed . By the time I tore the case down the range selector was so worn I couldn't put the plastic pads back on , as the whole thing was knife edged . There really isn't much else to go wrong in there . Adjust the linkage , if it persists , you'll need to rebuild it or replace it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I am going down the road at 55 and I start to stop and turn the truck will kick out of gear.
    Thanks
    Adam

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Doesn't soound good then . Adjust the linkage first for kicks and grins , but I have a feeling it isn't going to do anything in your case , sooner or later you won't be able to put it back into gear , or into the gear you need . I lucked out and got it to grab 4 lo , and I wasn't far from home with highway gears so I could do 30 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be a loose or broken mount or crossmember letting the t-case move enough to make it pop out of gear--or a cracked adaptor or tranny case--whatever it is,it doesent sound like an easy fix...good luck.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Before you do anything else, check your fluid level.