Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loud popping sound

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mjfoster49, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mjfoster49

mjfoster49 Registered Member

Could a steering box make a popping sound? I thought that it was my frame, because it was cracked in a couple of places, so I fixed the cracks, put on the weld on patch, and the bolt on brace, and i still have a loud popping when I turn the tires. Also, sometimes when i am sitting still, and the truck running, i can only turn the tires halfway to the left, but I can turn them all the way to the right. I dont know if this in normal but the shaft that comes out of the bottom of the steering box moves up and down when the tires are being turned.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i remember when mine popped while steering, and it turned out to be a broken center pin and a broken degree shim in the leaf pack..... try holding your spring pack, and have a buddy turn the wheels, see if you can feel the pop.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My springs will make light popping noises after a rain. Nothing broken but the slight movement in the springs makes some noise.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Possibly ball joints and/or tie rod ends. I had some popping as I turned before I changed mine last week.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

That puts a lot of stress on the steering components, especially on pavement. Always have some movement when turning.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had a poping sound when turning, crawled under my truck and there was a gap under the front spring. the ubolts loosened up, it was not long after i installed my lift and i forgot to retorque the ubolts.

bad spring bushings will make the same noise.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

re-torque the spring plates and steering box bolts. mine pops when my spring plates loosen up a bit.

Chris

8. mjfoster49

My u bolts are tight, checked them last week. When I turn the wheel, the driver side spring moves, but the passenger side does not. when you look at the front bushing It looks like it moves forward and back a little. WHat should those bolts be torqued to?

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I torque my u-bolt to 135-150 or so. and all my srpings bushings are torqued at 50 ft lbs.

since you don't have cross over, you may want to torque the front spring bushing to about 70 or so and see if that helps.

10. mjfoster49

I think i found the problem. I checked the center pin, and it wasnt broken, but somehow the nut was almost off, and the threads were stripped. So i am going to town to try to find a center pin. what should the torque be on the center pin nut?

11. Silver84k5

i just tighten em down as much as i can without stripping or breaking it. Squeeze your leafs together with a C-clamp fairly tight, then tighten the center pin down real good. should be fine... Then Retorque your u bolts after a day or two of driving the rig.

12. Silver84k5

oh yea... If you cant find a center pin, then just use a Grade 8 bolt from the hardware store, with a head big enough so there isnt any slop when you out it in the spring perch.

13. mjfoster49

I replaced the center pin, and drove around and It didnt pop any so i guess that was the problem. Thanks for everyone's help