Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

louder, single or dual exhaust? which should I go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 20, 2005.

?

Which exhaust for my 97?

1. Single Flowmaster 40 2 chamber

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. X pipe and Dual Flowmaster 40 2 chambers

40 vote(s)
    75.5%
  1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have run single and dual exhausts before and found the sounds to be interesting. Many think that dual exhaust is louder, but in my experience single is actually louder. Anyone else experience this?

I ran a single exhaust on my 95 K2500. It went, manifolds, y-pipe, straight pipe, 3" inlet/dual 2.5 outlet Flowmaster 40 3 chamber muffler. It was LOUD. I loved the way it sounded, but I got pulled over and stared down by more then one cop over it.

On my 89 Burb I had full length headers, 2.5" pipes, dual flowmaster 40 series 2 chambers. THe Burb was no where near as loud as my 95. And the burb had the louder mufflers.

My thought on this is, all of the engine is going through one muffler in a single exhaust, where as even though they are louder mufflers on my burb each one only had to muffle 4 cylinders, and it just came out quieter.

This leads to my thoughts on puting 1 or 2 mufflers on my 1997 C2500. Right now it is true dual 2.5" back through the cats to the muffler. There is a flange I can unbolt in front of the muffler so I can remove it and make a bolt on exhaust setup. My thought is I have 2 options:

-Flange to single 2.5" inlet flowmaster 40 out to a single 2.5" outlet with a turn down.
    -Flange to x pipe, to 2 2.5" inlet flowmaster 40s with 2.5" turn down outlets on them.

Which do you think will be quieter? I'm not worried about thef act that yes for a stock truck the dual setup may be overkill, there is a ton of exhaust pipe under the truck and dual cats to help slow the exhaust exit.

Sorry for the big annoying post...

2. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

If you are not planning on running tails, and you have to have flowmasters I would get the dual in dual out 50 series, that would sound good on that truck. If you get two mufflers you have to stand them up on end, and they don't last very long like that, it just pools the water up in them especially if you drive short distances. Something that sounds really good that we put on a 99 old body style 2500 with a 454 was a short magnaflow with 2.5 tails and 3 inch tips, sounded really good and had great flow. owner was very pleased. As far as loudness, it all depends because every vehicle is different. We could put the exact same system on the same truck and end up having something being more throaty or something very quiet and smooth. It differs quite often.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

didn't think about the puddling issue. Hmm...

I'm worried about the 50 being too quiet, that and it only comes in 2.25" inlet/outlets as far as I know. not that that would be a bad idea for me.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The 50 is way too quiet. Ran one on my DD and swapped it for an IMCO knockoff of a 40 series within a week.

5. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Those trucks are pretty loud to begin with, I wouldn't think it'd be too quiet, course I would just go magnaflow and be done. Flowmaster would be my last choice in mufflers.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

loud yes but it sounds like nothing. At idle it sounds like a v8 but getting on it just sounds like air rushing.(partly because I have silencers removed on the intake)

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Actually Flowmaster 40s come in 2 versions. 2 and 3 chamber. 2 chamber is the classic 40 series(what I had my burb), and 3 chamber is the 40 series WITH Delta Flow technology.

9. trailblazr81

Not trying to get in a pissing comtest, but 40 series, super 40 series and 40 series delta flow are all 2 chamber. Check out the websight http://flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html "The "Delta" deflectors result in increased scavenging for better performance and reduced interior resonance over the standard 40 series with a nice growl outside the vehicle"

30, 50, 60, 70 series are all 3 chamber and 80 series is a 2 chamber cross flow muffler.

Anyways, I have the newer Super 40's on my 2000 Mustang GT with a H and no cats, and it sounds awesome... But it also has some other mods.

10. 0cP

0cP Registered Member

Alan stick a single flowmaster on there and see what it sounds like. I love my single flowmaster up to about 3200rpms then there is no more deep tone to it. Not sure if I have a 40 or a 50 never cleaned the mud off and looked.

11. keifer

keifer Registered Member

I have a yj with a vortec in it running dual delta flow flowmasters with cutoffs before the rear axle, it sounds very healthy and deep, couple of people asked if i was running a bigblock actually. 2.5 inch

12. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I had long tubes with 2 1/2" pipes into 2 40 series on my 77 K5 and it was loud,so much drone cruising that I had a headache after driving it.I have 1-3"super 40 on my K5 now with just manifolds and stock y pipe and cat and it sounds awsome.I can talk to whoever is with me and it has a nice deep hollow rumble to it,I love it. :bow:

13. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

you should run duel strait pipes!!!

LUKE

14. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Why would you have to stand them on end if you ran two mufflers?
    [​IMG]

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you don't know the underside of a 97 Chevy. The factory dual pipes are about 6" apart(centerlines). The driver side has the gas tank. He is absolutely right, to package it all on the passenger side and like I was talking I would have to stand them on edge.

16. trailblazr81

Could try the Dynomax Ultra Flows. They come in a round version. I have em on my 63 Mercury with 390 motor. Its a big car but for ground clearance I used these on each side of gas tank in back. Give a nice deep tone. http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloweld.stm

17. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

I am suprised no one has posted the performance difference between single and duel exhaust yet. Are you towing with ir wheelign this truck. The single exhaust will help low end torque while have a duel exhaust helps the higher rpm horsepower. Where are you really going to be runnign this truck at? I seriusly doubt you are runnign this truck in higher rpms all the time. Stick witha single exhaust, have beeter low end torque and And drivability around town, for when towing and wheeling. now if ths truck is for mudding and how fast yu can go through the mud I say duel exhaust as you will be up in the higher rpms all the time.

18. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm running dual 2.5" with Tri-Y's and Super 40s ending in turn downs.

I love it! It'll vibrate windows @100ft.

Eventually I need to redo the pipes between the mufflers and headers, and then I'll go to 2.25" there, and leave the 2.5" turndown. Dropping to 2.25" after reading so much here about low end torque, and plus the Thorley reducer comes as a 2.25".

I think the key to a nice deep tone is the diameter of the pipe at the ends.

19. trailblazr81

We can get real technical and discuss pipe diameter and length affecting at what RPM you get the lovelly "Flow Drone" :haha: